Sign in to follow this  
Shaka

Thoughts about all the new ground textures being posted

I've noticed several new replacement ground texture packages being posted for download here lately, and I've got a troubling thought about it. Someone has already started a thread in which they decry the problem of some airports terrain textures not blending well with their new generic ground textures -- which of course is something that's bound to happen if the author of a custom terrain package designs their textures to blend with the default MS ground tiles. I can see this becoming more of a problem as the replacement ground textures become more popular, provided of course that they do. I don't have any answers to this other than a shrug. It reminds me of the old days of Web design when there were several competing web browsers (remember those days?) and one of them would come out with some new "feature" that only worked on that browser and looked like crud when viewed on the others. So then web developers had to choose between not including that feature and thus catering to the lowest common denominator, including the feature and accepting that it wouldn't work properly for some users, and including multiple browser-specific ways to implement a similar idea. The first option renders stable code but basic and fairly boring designs that don't live up to user's expectations. The second method generates ill will and loads of tech support requests. The third way is sometimes so time consuming that often the project had to be scrapped altogether as not cost effective.I think it's great that so many minds are working to improve the overall look of FS, but sometimes these alterations come at a cost. Does anyone else see this as an upcoming issue or am I blowing it out of proportion?thanks,

Ya, takes me back to fs2000. Remember the replacement ground from Lennart, and then there were a couple others also. I ended up making three different ground polygons for my airports of that era.I'd rather not have to deal with that again if possible. LOLB

Yep, I agree with all of this. As a scenery deisgner, I make it a point not to install the textures on my own computer, simply because I know that not everyone will use them. I had a few complaints about my VTP rivers and lakes that turned out to be related to thier 3rd party water textures.I'm the first to admit that usually these textures look first-class. I just hope that the designers and end users realise that sometimes there can be a trade off.- Martin