Sign in to follow this  
Holger

Two Questions Rock Quarry and program to view BGL files

Guest johnmd

I have two questions.First I would like to add a rock quarry to my scenery. This quarry would be below ground level. How would I go about this ?Second does anyone know of a program that would let me view the bgl file without running MS Flight Sim ?John

You could try to make a flatten polygon (LWM) with a program like Ground2k. This should allow you to lower the surface locally. Sometimes it is hard to make nice edges with this method, so it depends a bit on what you want if it gives the result you want.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Howdy:Arno's suggestion about flatten switches is good but you might be able to get the same results, without having to set up a background bitmap for Ground2K4, with Steve Greenwoods FSTFlatten: http://www.fs-traveler.com/flatten.shtmlIt's particularly good for making nested flattens, so you could model an open-pit mine with terraced levels.On the other hand, Ground2K4 will allow you to drape textured VTP2 polys over the area, which gives you more choice of color and pattern.BTW, if this is a real rock quarry and in an area for which high-res elevation data are available (Canada, US), you could try downloading the source data and making a local mesh. I know of several open-pit mines in my region and they all show up in the 23-m Canadian mesh data.Cheers, Holger