Sign in to follow this  
Bill Womack

srtm scenery washington

I downloaded this scenery. There is no readme with it and I am not sure where to put it. Do I put it in the main scenery file or the add on or neither? What does SRTM stand for anyway? I imagine the tm is for terra mesh but the sr is????? Is this supposed to be photo realistic? I would like some info on it.Don

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Don,You can just make a sub-folder in your FS9 "Addon Scenery" folder named whatever you like and make a subfolder under that called "scenery" and put the mesh there. If you do that though, you'll have to go into your scenery library and add an entry for the mesh scenery. If you put the mesh bgl files directly into your Addon Scenery/Scenery folder then it will automatically be loaded when you next start FS. However, if you do it this way be sure to note what files you put in there, because if you want to remove it later you'll want to delete only the files you added.SRTM stands for Shuttle (as in Space Shuttle) Research Tomography Mission. It was one of the shuttle missions flown a while back where they pointed a radar (I believe) at the earth's surface and made multiple passes in an attempt to map the planet's terrain. The resultant datasets have been partially released to the public, which is only fair since we (the American public) paid for it. I'd be interested to hear what you think of it once it's installed. Good luck!

Howdy:first off, I find it pretty annoying if people upload files without any information whatsoever about what they are, how they were made (and by whom: email!), and how to install. Strangely, this is what the Avsim upload site states:"The following instructions must be carefully followed, or your file will not be processed:* Your uploaded zip archive must contain a '.txt' (plain text) file, containing easy to understand installation instructions, your full name (no alias names allowed), and your email address in order to provide technical support to all who download your file, plus any other important information. Note: Failure to provide the above information will result in your file being deleted without notice...."Rules? What rules ;-(Anyway, SRTM-based mesh files for the U.S are sooo FS2002 - with the new freeware 38-m high-quality files by Raimondo Taburet (fsfreeware) and Justin Tyme (FS Genesis) there's little reason to use SRTM add-on mesh for any US area. Then again, it's a free (FS) world...Hmm, I guess Bill has some medical background - the actual term for SRTM is Shuttle Radar Topography Mission ;-)see http://www2.jpl.nasa.gov/srtm/pub_dist.htmCheers, Holger

LOL, Hoger... garbage in, garbage out I guess ;-). I had read somewhere that it was tomography, but even then I though "hmmm, that's weird, shouldn't it be topography?" I have to find that site where I read that and delete it from my bookmarks. Carry on,