Sign in to follow this  
Guest ArtProfeel

ColorBMP ?

Hello,Does anybody use this to convert black and white aerial/satellite photos to colour for FS? If so, how do you prevent the image turning into a phsychadelic monstrosity? I've tried it, read the instructions and am still a bit confused as to what you should do!

Guest ArtProfeel

Try this (courtesy FLY! users) :Colors (Index) 150 120 57 Color set From top to bottom : Hue Sat. 0.00 0.00 0.11 0.18 0.10 0.10 0.17 0.06 0.25 0.12 0.41 0.08 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 luminance std And be sweet with the cursors!Once this cfg fixed to your taste, adjust luminosity and contrast of the BW photos for best fit.Tip of the day : use S-Spline to rescale orthophotos.

Many thanks for that. The test bmp looks quite good with those settings.So what I need to do is set the index scale for each of the four colours and then adjust the hue and sat for the top and bottom range of each of those four colours. When you say leave the luminance as standard do you mean the leave the index mode box ticked? But you also say adjust luminosity for best fit? Can I adjust contrast in ColorBMP or do I need to use another program? One other question, how does ColorBMP decide where the different colors will go? is it based on the shading in the photo?Victor

>Many thanks for that. The test bmp looks quite good with>those settings.>So what I need to do is set the index scale for each of the>four colours and then adjust the hue and sat for the top and>bottom range of each of those four colours. When you say leave>the luminance as standard do you mean the leave the index mode>box ticked? But you also say adjust luminosity for best fit?>Can I adjust contrast in ColorBMP or do I need to use another>program? One other question, how does ColorBMP decide where>the different colors will go? is it based on the shading in>the photo?>>VictorOne other question I'm afraid (!). I seem to get an error message when I try to update other bmp in my system"Setting DIB Color Table:Error Code="Does anybody know what this means?Victor

Guest victorwest

>>Many thanks for that. The test bmp looks quite good with>>those settings.>>So what I need to do is set the index scale for each of the>>four colours and then adjust the hue and sat for the top and>>bottom range of each of those four colours. When you say>leave>>the luminance as standard do you mean the leave the index>mode>>box ticked? But you also say adjust luminosity for best fit?>>Can I adjust contrast in ColorBMP or do I need to use>another>>program? One other question, how does ColorBMP decide where>>the different colors will go? is it based on the shading in>>the photo?>>>>Victor>>One other question I'm afraid (!). I seem to get an error>message when I try to update other bmp in my system>>"Setting DIB Color Table:Error Code=">>Does anybody know what this means?>>VictorI've worked that one out.I was trying to open a 24bit bitmap rathar than an 8bit!!Victor

Guest ArtProfeel

Receive my apologies... Adjust luminosity and contrast on the picture itself before entering into ColorBmp with any paint program you've on hand Photoshop, PSP, the GIMP, Irfanview (fine for batch processing, simple, good sharpen tool and Lanczos filter), etc... once the color table cfg file is ok.Use a well balanced n/b picture at first for calibration purposes and align other pictures for same grey levels. You should have light grey roads and slightly different shades of -dark- grey in woody areas. The sharpen tool is fine to enhance too evenly light or dark pictures. I have ColorBmp, config files and orthos all in the same directory and never had any pb, either on 98 or 2000. It remains to me that color table(s) should have the same name as their picture counterparts, otherwise default table is used.The color table I have send to you is "neutral", it is best suited for meadows and cultivated landscape, rocky mountaneous areas and gives good results even if road and others light surfaces are in the same range, so you could add a little "touch of class" with magic select tool and colorize function of your paint program afterward. (yellow fiels, some grey or red dots for roofs, blue for expectedly clear and pure water, etc...). Remember : same grey level, same color