Sign in to follow this  
Guest duckytn

Where do I start?

Guest duckytn

I would like to try my hand at Scenery Design (nothing like making your home airport as real as possible in MSFS). Would like suggestions as to which software to use (FSDesign Studio, GMAX, etc...) and any links to online tutorials and resources.Thanks!duckytn:-newbie

I don't know which version of FS you are working for?If you are designing for Fs2004 I would advice you to try GMax for your 3D objects and AFCAD2 for the runways, taxiways, etc. Or you could also use SceneGenX for the runways etc (this one also allows you to place the objects you made with GMax).If you are working for Fs2002 you can still use GMax, but with the old gamepack. For the design of the runways etc you can then best use a program like Airport for Windows or FSSC.I hope this helps (a bit) :),

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest duckytn

Thanks! :-hahI will take a look at the GMax. I have used AFCAD before and understand pretty much how it works. Never heard of the SceneGenX so I will have to look it up (definately want to place custom objects). I would like to use custom textures on the buildings... Is it as simple as taking pictures and converting them to the proper format... or do they need to be hand drawn with a graphics program?Cheers!duckytn

For more information about SceneGenX take a look at www.airportforwindows.com. But if you are already familiar with AFCAD that might be a better choice, you could then for example place the objects by writing some XML code yourself.Yes, you can use custom textures of course in GMax. Usually the photos you take need some tweaking (for example to remove a little perspective or a person that walk in front of the building while you took a photo). This can be done with most graphical programs. After that you save it in a format FS can read (DXT BMP format) and you are ready to use it.But GMax might have a bit of a learning curve at first, so I think it is best if you read the scenery tutorial that comes with the GMax gamepack. These should help you in understand GMax :).

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest duckytn

Thanks a bunch arno!!You have me pointed in the right direction. Will take a look at what I can do. Might be yelling back if I run into any roadblocks!Your help is really appreciated!Cheers!duckytn:-wave