Sign in to follow this  
Guest flipper

FS Design Studio

Guest Barney1

I have a copy of FSDS which is patched to v1.6. Anyone else using this program who thinks upgrading to the latest version, which is 2.4 I believe, worthwhile or beneficial?

Hi Barney,I think it depends on what you want. I have also used FSDS 1.6 in the past, but I have switched to GMax.If you want to design scenery that is really for Fs2004 (so with the XML code etc) FSDS is not your option, because it makes scenery in the Fs2002 and not the Fs2004 format. In that case GMax would be your option.But if you want to keep using a program like Airport for now (and thus work with API macros) FSDS2 might be a good option. The code it makes it more efficient then the FSDS1 code, because it uses the floating point commands.So it all depends on what kind of scenery you want to make, but personally I would go for the GMax and the Fs2004 techniques. Once you have learned how to work with GMax you will see that it is a lot more powerful then FSDS :).

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest Barney1

Hi Arno,I'm quite aware of the difference between the output code of FSDS and Gmax....but I'm tired of trying to master Gmax! If and when it becomes absolutely necessary to create in XML, I'll start worrying!I also had a feeling that the newer version of FSDS might be more suited to FS9 but I was really looking for someone who uses the program to come forward and say so. I've had a couple of things happen that could be also attributed to WinXP being the OS, even though I have it set to emulate Win98 and wondered if the latest edition of FSDS is optimized for XP.

FSDS2 is better suited for Fs2004 than FSDS1, but still it is not following the Fs2004 standard. FSDS2 uses more optimized code and if you do not want to use GMax it is the best alternative.I have never seen/heard problems with FSDS2 on WinXP, works just fine.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Hi Barney,I stick with FSDS/Architect too, mainly because I need the BGL:s to be both FS2002 as well as FS9 compatible.FSDS 2 will give you a better coding as well as an easier texturing interface so I suggest a switch.FSDS 2 cannot use FrSc as a compiler - it is dedicated to and supports the latest scasm compiler commands.There are in my system no issues related to FSDS 1.6 or FSDS 2 incompability with Windows XP Pro.They both behave well in WIN XP so no need to use the Win98 emulation.BestBjorn

Guest Barney1

Thanks fellows....seems like I should upgrade after all to achieve the better coding, if for no other reason.

Guest sapper42

Barney, definatley update to the latest version of FSDS !! there is no problem with it in FS2004 and in XP !I have allways used FSDS as a personal pref and have had no real issues that couldnt be solved by a little thought, design style and lots of help from others here at the avsim forum.The only point i can add is at some stage i would recommend that you learn a little about scasm ( the latest can be obtained from www.scasm.de ) to help optimise your code and this will enhance what you create.Again, there is plenty of help around from other users that can and will either advise you directly via this forum or point you to tutorials here or on other websites.Allso, dont be afraid to learn how to use XML to further enhance your design efforts.best regards Jeff

Guest flipper

Hi Barney1! I've been using FSDS for years and I still think it is the simplest way to create aircraft and scenery objects. I'm trying my best to learn gmax but it usually gives me a headache and I end up going back to FSDS and knocking out what I need to get done! I think upgrading to the 2.x version would be a good idea, its a lot more stable and has a few new features and tools. There is one thing you should know though, you no longer need the "Aircraft Animator" addon as an animator is included in the 2.x version. The only bad thing about upgrading is you will lose any animations from any previous version projects since the animations are incompatable with the new version. That is, on any on-going projects or previous projects that you may want to reload and modify. I found this out the hard way, I loaded the upgrade while I was in the middle of a big helicopter project and ended up working for days to get all of my animations to work right again. You may want to completely reload under a different directory and keep both versions active if you plan on doing any mods to older projects! Hope this helps, good luck!