Sign in to follow this  
LuisFelizTirado

How to stop snowy textures in winter

Guest Anthony_D

Hello Again,With my Lake District scenery I'm testing out different seasons. I have a problem in winter with the Lake District having a white snowy texture. This seems to affect all landclass tiles irrespective of what value they are. The same landclass values don't get "wintered" with my Lancashire and Manchester/Liverpool sceneries.I'm wanting to remove the winter snow effect - can someone explain how? I assume it's hardcoded into the underlying default scenery somewhere as the snow certainly doesn't have universal coverage.Help much appreciatedAnthony Dyer

Hi Anthony,I assume that the answer to your your question is in the seasons.bgl (FS9SceneryBASEScenery). The new FS2004 Terrain SDK, specifically TerrainTextureNames.doc explains how landclass textures are assigned in different regions and season. You should have a look at the document.I don't think we can (or should) alter these files (seasons.bgl and regions.bgl) and I don't know of any work-around either but perhaps others do.Cheers, HolgerP.S. You can look at both files with TMFViewer (it's probably best to also load your poly or vector .bgl files to see where you are on the planet). To view the distribution of the seasons during the 12 months of the year use "View > Seasons > Season x"

Hello Holger,Forgive me for disagreeing. The seasons bgl is basically incorrect for most (all?) of the world and should definitely be modified to reflect the correct seasons. Christian Stock indicates the proper procedure for doing this in his Terra Model File tutorial, as you know.Perhaps the problem with Anthony's ground is different, though. Flight Simulator paints the world with a large and somewhat indiscriminate brush (necessarily, as nobody can re-create the world in all its minute detail for a game). Micro-climatic variations are not taken into account. While Anthony's area may be coded for winter, perhaps he does not often get snow in real life because of prevalent conditions.He might try using different ground textures. Not all ground textures come with a winter variant. But, there may not be an alternative.In that case, he could try creating a new set of ground textures without snow-covered ground (just make a copy of the textures used in the land class file, delete the ones with snow, copy and rename the fall textures giving them the winter name) and place them in a texture folder with the land class bgl in a scenery folder. If all ground textures used in the land class file are included in the texture folder, then there should be no problem.Best regards.Luis