Sign in to follow this  
wsieffert

Airport3.0/SceneGenX

Guest Atunall

I am having a few problems using these tools.To start, Airport 3.0. Should I be using this tool primarily? A lot of macros are now in XML, or MDL files. Anyway, when I try compiling, I get a message that says error compiling _exclude.bgl. What do I need to do to fix this?With SceneGenX, I am trying to install XML macros, but dont know where to put the actual image stuff. Do I just manually do the XML code? Or is there a way to effectively use them by putting in 3D objects.Also, with both of these, when I compile and install, I dont see any changes. The only chages to the actual airport scenery I have seen thusfar are with AFCAD2.21.Anyway, any help would be appreciated. I checked the Scenerydesign.org forum, but there is little there. And I have yet to find a good tutorial for either of these tools.Thanks again,AJ

>To start, Airport 3.0. Should I be using this tool primarily?>A lot of macros are now in XML, or MDL files. Anyway, when I>try compiling, I get a message that says error compiling>_exclude.bgl. What do I need to do to fix this?If you want to design scenery in the Fs2004 file formats (like the XML, MDL files) you should not use Airport 3.0. This tool still uses the older Fs2002 formats. But if you are still also placing old macros it is a fine tool to use of course.Do you have more information about that error? This is not a very clear error message. Do you have a SCAMS error log maybe?>With SceneGenX, I am trying to install XML macros, but dont>know where to put the actual image stuff. Do I just manually>do the XML code? Or is there a way to effectively use them by>putting in 3D objects.Not sure what you mean with XML macros. But if someone has distributed his work in the new MDL format you can probably just use the GUIDs he assigned to the objects. Just enter this GUID when you want to place an object. Of course you need to make sure that the BGL containing his objects is also in your scenery folder.>Also, with both of these, when I compile and install, I dont>see any changes. The only chages to the actual airport scenery>I have seen thusfar are with AFCAD2.21.Are you sure you have installed the new BGL files to an active scenery folder? You also need to restart FS before you see any changes.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest Atunall

I dont think I will be inserting old macros, really I have very little use for them, and I want the most streamlined approach available.As for SceneGenX, is there any way to stick in roads? I saw no Create Road area there...Appreciate the help Arno, I will be sure to keep asking questions on this. My current project is KHIO. Also, I used a Background Bitmap, but when I try to zoom in it disappears. This a bug in SceneGenX? I am not exactly sure how it works. I am assuming that when it fills the screen, that is the right size. And you put the object on the background bitmap so it is the right placement away from the reference point?Thanks for the help again,AJ

>As for SceneGenX, is there any way to stick in roads? I saw no>Create Road area there...That is correct, the XML code does not allow you to place roads. You can best use VTP lines to make roads, this is also how it is done in the default scenery of MS.> I am not exactly sure how it works. I>am assuming that when it fills the screen, that is the right>size. And you put the object on the background bitmap so it is>the right placement away from the reference point?No, you need to scale the bitmap till it is right. Usually I place a runway in SceneGenX (of which I know the size of course) and then I move and scale the bitmap until the runway aligns with the runway on the image.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

Guest Atunall

Cool, doing that.VTP lines look like the fake roads? Sort of blended in the texture? Silly looking and not like an actual road in airport scenery yea?That might work for this airport, since I am just sticking around edge roads. Regardless, I get the way to scale the image, and am doing that.What sort of things would people recommend using Airport for Windows for? As opposed to SceneGenX? What other tools are good?Thanks for all the help, appreciate the assistance.AJ

>VTP lines look like the fake roads? Sort of blended in the>texture? Silly looking and not like an actual road in airport>scenery yea?Yes, that is correct. But this is the way MS does roads now in the scenery. In the new floating point scenery commands there are no road commands, so VTP must be the future.>What sort of things would people recommend using Airport for>Windows for? As opposed to SceneGenX? What other tools are>good?I would only advice to use Airport when you still want to place API macros (you could also use FSSC for that). If you don't use such macros anymore it is better to use the Fs2004 tools like AFCAD2 or SceneGenX. For changing the mesh scenery and placing roads you can best use Ground2k or SBuilder.

Arno

Guest Atunall

Okay, so I got rid of Airport for Windows, no use for older API macros. I want to stick in an exclude around KHIO. First I set up the airport info, a central point of coordinates, create a runway and line it up with a background bitmap to provide me some reference points. Then I go ahead and create an exclude to get rid of the default buildings at KHIO. Now, is it possible to make small excludes, specifically around the buildings I don't like or are in the wrong places? So, I set the exclude, theoretically it -should- get rid of all default buildings. I compile, no errors.Then, when I run FS9, it builds new scenery database, I fly at KHIO, and look around ... and guess what, tons of buildings.Whats wrong? Why are my file sizes only 1kb, and I am not getting anything to show up?Right now I have the altitude set at the Airnav.com alt of 204MSL, and have the Central coordinates set in the same place as my AFCAD2.21 file has its central point. Note, I am using AFCAD2.21 for everything but buildings, library objects and excludes.Thanks,AJ

Start fs2004, go to the airport, some central point, then exit fs2004. Rename your AFCAD for this airport with a different extension, i.e., XXX, zzz, AAA. Start fs2004, select a flight, select previous flight. What do you see; Are there buildings where you expected to see none? Exit fs2004, rename your SGX scenery file with a different extension. Restart fs2004, select a flight, select previous flight. What do you see; Are there any differences.If you can't see any differences then you may not have placed the excludes in the correct location. I would work with one programs file first before trying to add the other program's file. Since excludes seem to be a problem, start with SGX or Excbuilderv2.zip to place your excludes.If you already have a overall large exclude for the airport, then making small excludes within the large exclude doesn't do anything but create software bloat and may cause confusion in the scenery generator. Yes, you can make individual small excludes and they are preferrable when you want to remove individual objects.Lastly, I wouldn't use an external programs elevation. The flight simulator may have a different elevation. Remember this is a simulation world not a real world.W. Sieffert

Guest Atunall

UGH!!!I have been trying to get this working forever, and it isn't.I have the latitude and longitude set at the same place as the default AFCAD file for KHIO. Altitude is the same. I have a large rectangular exclude around the entire airport, meant to take out all of the default buildings. For now, I just want to get it to work, then I will be making smaller excludes (since some of the buildings are good).So, to make a long story short, this just isnt working. I am using SceneGenX, with a background bitmap. I created a runway and lined the background bitmap up, with the center point exactly where the real runway center point is.I need help, I really dont know what is going down with this. The packaging list in SGX includes a KHIO_EX1.bgl file, but I have never seen this. The 1kb KHIO, Update, V1.0 file I get just doesn't do anything. I even tried adding an object ... to no avail.Thanks for the help, hopefully we can get this working.AJ

Where are you seeing the packaging list in SGX. If you are using the packaging for storage or distribution to install the files to your flight simulator, that is incorrect.What files do you see in your flight simulator relating to the file name you chose to use? Are the files located in your Addon SceneryScenery folder or a new folder you made under the flight simulators Scenery folder, e.g.:H:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator 9SceneryKMCO2004SceneryH:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator 9SceneryKMCO2004TextureIf you did add a new folder, did you enable this new folder in the Scenery Library listings by using the ADD button?If you use SGX and make an exclude, SGX doesn't make a separate _EXC.bgl file. The exclude is contained with the rest of the elements in the same file you named for your project.Email me with your *.SGX, *.XML, and *.bgl files and I will try to see what the problem is.W. Sieffert

Guest Atunall

My file is current in Addon SceneryScenery, the default location for the compile and install....I will email you with the .SGX, .XML. and .bgl files. Right now I am just plain stuck ... which sucks. Once I get it figured out and how to put things, I can start actually placing the buildings again. The default hangars dont look that different from the ones at KHIO, they are just placed incorrectly because of a missing taxiway. The default runway is too short, and the taxiways are incorrect, as well as the main terminal building, fuel placement (there is one out in the middle of the grass too), and various other hangars for jet aircraft.Thanks for the help, hope to hear from you soon.AJ

Hi AJ,I returned your email to me, but it came back that the email address had fatal errors.You can email me at wsieffert@cfl.rr.comOtherwise, if you zip your files and they are below the forum maximum amount of 125KB, you could attach them to a post.W. Sieffert

Hi AJ,I got your files and replied but my replies always get kicked back.Here is the email I sent:"Hi AJ,First, you have some interesting file names. I would not put commas andextra periods in the file names.I think you will find your problem is easy to solve. Start SceneGenX, loadyour project file (*.SGX), once loaded, select View, Center Scenery. Whatthat does is places the center of your SGX work screen at the referencepoint you inputted under the Sections, Airport data. Next zoom out (-Zoom)to find your scenery exclusion rectangle. Hmmm, it is located approximately21KM NorthWest of the airport. I'll bet if you slew over there it will beexcluding something; probably not what you want excluded.Back to SGX. Click on one corner of the exclusion rectangle, right clickand select "Select Entire Exclude Area". Click and hold your mouse buttonover one of the corners of the exclude rectangle, you should see a movecross. Drag the entire Exclude Rectangle to the middle of the screen,trying to center it over the middle of the reference point. If you thinkyou moved the screen center doing this operation, click View, CenterScenery.Once you get it near the Scenery Center, zoom in (+Zoom) and makeadjustments to the location of the exclusion rectangle around the SceneryCenter.I attached a zip file with updated files. One thing you might notice underSections, Airport Data is I deselected the Airport Active box. The reason Idid this was, you don't need the Airport Data for just an ExclusionRectangle. You will need this box enabled, if you add Runways, Taxiways,Aprons, etc. to the airport. If you download and install theFS2004_BGLCOMP_SDK.exe, read the BGLCOMPSDK.DOC, look at the http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/82626.zip