Sign in to follow this  
Guest Zapem

BGLCOMP sdk and placing objects problems ???s

Hi, I have been starting to get into the BGLCOMP SDK and some scenery design and have a few questions/problems. Basically I would like to use many of the objects already in FS9 to update my home town.1st - using the XML/BGLCOMP method calling the GUIDs only it will only work 1 in 30 trys using the following method. This isalso true if I'm using the front end program SceneGenX. My question is this.. The object called above is from Washington DC and I'm trying to place it in Green Bay, WI.Will the object not be diplayed since this GUID call is trying to reach an inactive .BGL, I.E. DC.bgl ?? The second method I used is this -- First I decompiled all the object .BGLs to give me the master .XMLs and .MDLs (1754 of them) using BGLX 120 ( AVSIM library ). Then I found all the textures ( 2564 of them ) that the BGLs call and placed them in my TEST scenery folder using standard scenery folder format.Then I use this format to place them in KGRB and it works..Is the second method the only way to do this ???Also notice there are only 1754 .mdls and in the Excel spreadsheet there are 2193 entries.. I started going through the DC bgl and found many of the GUIDs donot have a related .MDL HMMM??????Started making a new .XLS file showing: master bgl name/guids/.mdl name/called textures/screenshot. Will it be worth the work??Regards,Roman(KGRB)http://home.new.rr.com/spokes2112/images/Image2.gif

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

Hi Roman.The first object won't show because the GUID is locked to a small geographic area by the default BGL. This is common for most objects in FS9 ( and earlier ). As you have discovered, the MDL can be extracted and recompiled, to activate the object wherever you want. You could make new BGLs of all the ( cities and areas ) MDLs and universalize them if you want. I've done it, and I'm sure others have. The textures should be in a twin "texture" folder, as I think you also found.You can actually use the same GUID. I have, and found no harm in this.The reason I never posted my collection to AVSIM's Library, is that Micosoft owns these objects. I have in the past taken liberties with MS rights, but this is pretty bold... MS bounded them to specific areas for a reason ( whatever that may be ), and so maybe we should not distribute the unlocked versions. Just a thought.But what you do in the privacy of your own computer is your business. Some more info on GUIDs, and Library objects can be found by searching this forum.And yes, many objects listed are not in FS9... the MS writer of the data just included every object from every flightsim MS ever made in the data base, including CFS1 and CFS2!And, there's always Gmax, to make your own.Dick

Guest Zapem

@RomanAny change that you could make a tutorial on how to "MDL can be extracted and recompiled" ?By the way i have a strange little problem. I have to PC with FS9 running on both. I have made a little scenery with some objects in and it is showing fine on on PC but not on the other. Any idea how that can happend. I'm just using some few standard FS objects.Thanks

There are 2 ways to place an object.1. If you are placing an object in an area where the object happens to be in an "active" .BGL or from the "generic" scenery folder, follow the directions from page 8 of the FS2004BGLCompSDK.doc. A listing of the objects from the "generic" scenery folder can be found at simviation.com file name VIO.zip.2. If it does not follow the above then you need to de-compile the .BGL where the object is located. a. Download BGLX 120 from the AVSIM library to decompile the .BGL to get the .MDLs and a "descriptive" .XML b. Find the .MDL that is the object that you would like to place, put that in your projectscenery folder c. Open the .MDL up using notepad to find the names of the textures you will need. They are listed usually just a few lines from the top. d. Find those textures, copy them into your ProjectTexture folder. e. Use the gmax_sdkgamepacksdocsgmaxSceneryTutorial.doc pg.12 steps 12 thru 18 to recompile the .MDL back into a .BGL. ( assuming that BGLCOMP.exe is in the projectscenery folder ) Use the .XML file created by BGLX 120 to get the GUID - or - Use BGLCOMPLibraryObjects.xls to get the GUID from the .MDL name.!!!! Using step 2 is decompiling copyrighted material as stated in EULA and should not be uploaded anywhere !!!!"By the way i have a strange little problem. I have to PC with FS9 running on both. I have made a little scenery with some objects in and it is showing fine on on PC but not on the other. Any idea how that can happend. I'm just using some few standard FS objects."I'd check the scenery.cfg to make sure that PC #2 has the same entries as PC #1 and that the scenery folders are the same as PC #1. I.E. not missing. Regards,Roman(KGRB)http://home.new.rr.com/spokes2112/images/Image2.gif

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

Guest Zapem

Tnx RomanWill try your "Tutorial" About the scenery. I found out that a addon scenery for the same airport was "hiding" it. I then simply put the BGL file - I made - in the same scenery folder as the addon scenery and there it was ;-)Regards