Sign in to follow this  
Holger

Ground2K4 "Line" Use and elevation control

Guest jamtide

Hello,I am attempting to have a stream I drew using the "Line/Lake Shore" function settle into the surrounding terrain rather than climb up the odd embankment. I know when one draws a LWM lake there is an option of defining the flatten elevation. Is there a way to have my stream have this option?Thanks

Hello Jamie,This is a very annoying problem. Perhaps there are two ways to approach it.You could try a new, more precise altitude mesh. If your stream is correctly placed, then it should lie well on the altitude mesh. (Holger showed an example of this a while ago and it was amazing!)Or, you could just displace the stream line so that it does not climb up slopes. I often do this, as nobody really will notice that the stream is a few meters off its real location, and I am somewhat lazy.Lines (roads, streams. etc) always follow the altitude mesh, although there is an offset in the game so that they are slightly sunk into the land.Best regards.Luis

Howdy,Luis's suggestions are spot-on. Here's one more if you opt for the "make the stream-fit-the-mesh" approach:Use the FSConnect feature in Ground2K4 to draw the stream in FS in slew mode. The way I do this is to position myself at the lower end of the stream, facing uphill. Then I start the FSConnect feature and slew along the bottom of the valley as far as I need to go. I use the joystick to move horizontally and the F3 (slow lift) button to maintain an elevation slightly above the ground, which provides a better view. Also, turning autogen off while doing this helps with visibility, as does a view setting of 0.75. It sounds difficult but is actually quite fast once you get the hang of it. Moreover, it produces the best possible fit to your base mesh.Cheers, Holger