Sign in to follow this  
Guest gorchi

FS2002 BGL to DXF or 3DS

I am trying to take a scenery object from a BGL file and get it into a DXF or 3DS format. The reason is that I want to use an unfolding program called Pepakura to create a paper model of it.I am not sure of the best way to do this. This is what I have tried:The BGL I am trying to use comes from an FS2002 add-on.I converted it to MDL using BGL2MDL 1.0. I tried to use MDL2DXF4 on that MDL and I get a Windows Error that closes the program (I have Windows 2000). Then I tried the earlier version called MDL2DXF32 and it did the conversion with no problem. Now I have a DXF file but when I try to open it in any DXF viewer it gives no error but the model does not appear. If I try to open it in Pepakura I get an error. Any ideas? Thanks,Steve Ruch

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Steve!So far I have never heard that anybody sucessfully made such reverse engineering. Maybe if YOu could ask the author for the source code of the object?Best regards,Goran BrumenFS Slovenija 2002 teamhttp://slovenia.avsim.net

I tried that but got no answer.If I use SCDIS to disassemble the BGL to a SCASM file, then is there any way to get a SCASM file to 3DS format?Thanks,Steve

No, as far as I know there is no tool to do that. The normal way for a scenery designer is to go the other way (from DXF/3DS to BGL), but there are no reverse tools that I know of.

My goal is actually to create real-world models of FS scenery/buildings in paper. I have a program called Pepakura which will unfold a 3DS file so that you can print it out and assemble a paper model. I am trying to find some way to get existing FS2004 or 2002 buildings/scenery/planes into 3DS format so I can do this. As a test, I am trying to convert the FS2004 Salisbury Cathedral in London into a 3DS.I don't have GMAX or 3DSMAX so I can't recreate them. I have used a program called Photomodeler Lite to create models from FS2004 screenshots though but it is limited and time-consuming.-Steve