Sign in to follow this  
bob.bernstein

Relocating airports

Guest Mag

Hello all,I would first like to say that I am not a scenery designer, nor have I ever partaken in scenery design. I leave it to the real professionals out there.However, using AFCAD I am fixing up my real-world airport. I have made it look exactly like the real one with one exception. In FS9, the airport is in the wrong location. It is a little too far NE. I used AFCAD to reposition the airport but now unfortunately, all the airport buildings and underlying texture (grass) have remained in their original position.Is there any programs or information on how to properly reposition airport locations (this includes moving runways, taxiways, buildings, associated groud textures and everything else. If someone could point me to a program or any relevant info that would be a huge help. I have no idea where to find these things.Thanks again,Ryan

First, what reference did you use to determine the airport was not in the correct location? Most airports, especially the runways are in the correct location. Aprons, taxways, and buildings may not be in the correct location. I would open the default airport in AFCAD and check the reference point against known aeronautical data, such as, Airport/Facility Directory. If the reference point is accurate, then you can use various tools to exclude the entire airport or just parts of misplaced objects.I recommend downloading and installing the FS2004 software development kits from http://www.microsoft.com/games/flightsimulator/ , downloads, FS2004SDK. Also download and install SceneGenX from http://www.airportforwindows.com/ . Other tools from the AVSIM and FLIGHTSIM libraries are: Excbuilderv2.zip, Creatsign*.zip, Ground2k*.zip. W. Sieffert

Guest Mag

Hi,I uses the Canada Flight Supplement, (same as US Airport/Facility Dir) which gives ARP coordinates, rwy data, magnetic deviation and a bunch of other stuff. It is a government document. Also, I can tell visually that the airport is about a mile to far NE because when taking off rwy 32 in real life you line up exactly with a mountain and radio towers about 5nm from the airport. It isn't so in FS.I will try the SDK. Thanks for the info.

If the airport looks like its wrong based on the terrain, its more often the terrain that wrong, not the airport.Doesn't mean a mistake wasn't made, but don't count on default terrain to be the standard for establishing airport locations.