Sign in to follow this  
wsieffert

New Guy with a Question

Guest crushnik

I have been trying to wade through all of this scenery deign mess - downloaded several programs that I have seen in FAQ's and forums. Hoping this would all make sense sooner or later, I have realized i am not as computer saavy as I thought. All i want to do right now is start small and put a building in where there isn't one with the default MS Flight Sim 2004 scenery.I have gmax, creatsign, terrain sdk, afcad 221, msxml, and maybe a couple of others. Can someone point me in the right direction in some plain english? Right now I do not have a clue. I appreciate any help, and believe me, I tried to do my homework.

Plain English? hahahahahahahah.... that's a good one! Scenery design is anything but simple, plain, or even comprehensible to most people who are first starting out. I really feel for you, mate. I do. I remember very well when I was in your shoes, and it wasn't all that long ago, either.I'll try and help with the most basic of answers if you just want to get some buildings into FS. First, you need a modeling program. I'm partial to Gmax, and you already have that so you might as well start there. In order to export a building from Gmax, however, you'll need two things to be done and done right: the first is you need to install the FS2004 Gmax gamepack. If that's been done correctly, then once you've finished a model you'll have the options under "Export" in the file menu to export as a Flight Sim Scenery or Aircraft model. If you see those options under export, you're probably good to go. Once you've exported, you'll have two files. The first is the .mdl file that contains your model's geometry information. The second is an .xml file that calls the mdl model and has parameters that can be edited to place the model in FS. You have to un-comment the location information in the xml file (more instructions in the BGLComp SDK from MS) and put in a set of valid lat/lon coordinates, an altitude and heading for your model. Once all that's done, you'll need to compile the xml file with BGLComp.exe. It's available in the aforementioned BGLComp SDK, which is downloadable from the same place you got your Gmax gamepack on the official FS9 website. You'll also need to have the MSXML parser properly installed in order for this step to work.When the planets align and all of the above has happened without error, you can go ahead and put the resulting .bgl file into FS and your handiwork should show up.Then, of course, there's about 10 million other things to know about scenery design. But the above will take you from being a complete newb to someone who knows how to create and position buildings in FS, and that's something ;-).Good luck!

Guest sapper42

LOL, i haveto agree with Bill on thatone !There is no easyway, Bill is partial to Gmax and im partial to FSDS but its a matter of personal choice.I recommend you start with programs like AFCAD ( FS9 version as i pressume you have FS9 ) and FSSC. These are simple well documentated programs and develope from there. Start with small airports/fields, even fictional ones to cut your teeth with. Then move onto bigger things. Your learning curve will depend on the hours you spend but beware its very addictive. As you progress, you will become more familliar and what may seem like a lot of gobbledy gook to you is discussion of things like source code that you can become familliar with later in your learning curve.Best of all, there is this Forum and many others where you can get help and many of us that are willing to help you.Look at the tutorial section at www.scenery.org for many good tutorials .Many of us have been learning this for several years and it never stops. Jump in , have a go at scenery design and enjoy yourself.Good Luck : Jeff

Download the Scenery_sdks from http://www.microsoft.com/games/flightsimulator/ , downloads, FS2004SDK. The BGLCOMP documentation has several examples that you can cut and paste to small files, compile with BGLCOMP.exe and places objects at an airport.If all you want to do is place objects, it is simple. Download jetways2.zip for an example of adding multiple jetways to KMCO. The Library Object file has to be available in your flight simulator scenery folders so the scenery generator can find the library objects.If you want to design your own library objects, then download and install the FS2004_GMAX_SDK after you installed GMAX ver 1.2. Since I flunked stick figures 101 in 1st grade, you will have to get someone else to tell you how to design the objects. I can tell you how to export the objects after someone designs them.W. Sieffert