Sign in to follow this  
Guest philtm

Basic question: Can FS2004 default scenery be modified?

Guest philtm

What I want to do is change some of the landclass designations around my local area, but I'm unsure if I have to create something NEW, or if I can do this to the default FS scenery.If it is possible to open and edit default scenery, could someone please explain how to go about finding one's local area among the many unnamed files in FS? What type of numbering system is used for various areas of the world? I have many of the utilties available, including Ground2k4, Terrabuilder Lite, USA Photomaps, ERDAS viewfinder w. ECW plugin, header editor, compressor, etc.. also have the tutorials, but am still having a problem finding an answer to my questions.Thanks for your help,phil

The generally accepted practice is NOT to modify the default scenery files but to exclude and replace them with modified files. The problem with modifying default scenery files is twofold.If you modify a certain file, upload it, and a user replaces their default file, their system is now different. A second designer comes along and modifies the default file, uploads it, and the same user replaces you modified file with another modified file. Now the user is really confused, since they now have lost your updates. The issue is configuration control.A second issue is decompiling the default scenery to make changes. The decompilers capable of decompiling the scenery are reverse engineering programs. Personal experience with the decompilers indicates they may not provide a complete true representation of the compiled scenery file. In one instance, someone uploaded a new "default" file. The new file was 10% of the size of the original default file. The new file left out many other airports included in the original default file.I will let the terrain designers recommend the best way to modify the terrain files. I can speak to the modification above the terrain scenery, i.e., airports, scenery objects, etc. I use a combination of decompiling the default files, using parts and pieces of those files into new files, adding additional handcoded or SceneGenX coded XML which are compiled into scenery files and placed in new scenery folders. The default scenery files are left intact.W. Sieffert

Guest philtm

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply with the information. What you have written makes good sense to me. I guess I will focus my efforts on reworking a few water areas and roads, and take little steps. It seems like a rewarding hobby, especially when one can then take a virtual flight over the creation.phil

Guest luissa

> What type of>numbering system is used for various areas of the world?Hello,Here is some information:Default LWM files for Western Europe, for example, are located in the folder:C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator 9SceneryEurwSceneryDifferent regions of the world will be located in different folders like Eure for Eastern Europe, Afri for Africa, Name for North America (East part) and so on.Inside these folders you have several files. The following files are LWM files:FL9XXYY0.BGL - these files refer to flatten polygons HP9XXYY0.BGL - these files refer to hydro polygons (and/or hydro area fills) All LWM files cover a complete LOD5 square. The XX and YY appearing in the filename refer to the X and Y coordinates of the LOD5 square to which the file refers to. In order to know which file applies for a given location you look to the LOD5 coordinates that appear in the status bar when you have the mouse in the desired position. In the south of Portugal, for example, the satusus bar shows LOD5 45 18. Therefore if you want to load the hydro LWM data for that region you look for the file HP945180.BGL. Note that there is a leading 9 and a trailing 0 in the sequence of digits that define the location.Luis

Guest philtm

Luis, That was some VERY helpful information, and thank you for sharing it. I'm going to experiment with it to see if I can find the data for my area.Phil

Guest sapper42

Phil, for creating your files, i can only recommend Luis's SBuilder V2.02 available here at Avsim !! it is very simple and Luis gives tremendous support !rgds Jeff

Guest philtm

Jeff, Thank you very much for the tip. I'm downloading the SBuilder software now, and will take a good look at it later this evening. I now have more cool programs and utilities than I know what to do with! :).. Time to start learning these.As always, I really appreciate the help and ideas from everyone.Phil