Sign in to follow this  
Guest pks1414

Groan...another ground2k question

Guest pks1414

I have been trying to alter the coastline around Le Touquet in France, I have followed the instructions in the beginners guide but I constantly keep getting messages like theseStart 11/11/2004 22:42:44Fatal error : Line crossing itself at Bitmap X: 306 Y: 515End 11/11/2004 22:42:45I check all through, find the guilty point and remove it, but I just get the same message again but in another location. This only happens when I try to do the coastline, everything else works okay. I zoom right in and there are no lines crossing themselves?What am I doing wronghelp pleasethanksPaul

Looks as if your coastline is trying to close itself.Use either "coastline" or uncheck the box that say "Join ends of line" if you use Line/Lakeshore or Poly with shore./Bqt

Hello Paul,A screenshot would be of great help in understanding the problem. Please, no aircraft taken from spot view in the image, just a simple top-down view of your Ground2K4 workspace.Also, could you please provide more information as to what you are drawing - is it a coast with beach (that is a Poly with Shore) or without?Generally, shorelines (beaches, lake and river banks) are VTP (Vector-Based Textured Polygon) lines, and can cross themselves without generating any errors.On the other hand, L/WM (Land/Water Masks), that is, bodies of land - such as a coast - or water cannot be drawn in such a way that the polygon crosses itself.However, you only draw a portion of the polygon when drawing a coast. But, a polygon is a CLOSED figure, and Ground2K4 will ALWAYS close the polygon by drawing a straight segment from one end of your curve to the other.You will find this example in the Problems section of the Ground2K guide, as well as the solution.Best regards.Luis

Guest pks1414

Hello again,I am not getting it at all. I have attached the file. I have even tried breaking the coastline up as you can see. I know I must be doing something really stupid but the brain won't function on this one.ThanksPaul

Hello Paul, Please read the Problems section of the Ground2K guide, where you will find an illustrated explanation of this problem, along with the solution.Here is what happens when Ground2K4 tries to close your coast in order to create a polygon:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/97214.jpgThe blue line is the straight segment that is automatically drawn when closing the polygon.Best regards.Luis