Sign in to follow this  
wsieffert

Eager 'Modder' Wanting To Get Stuck In...

Guest DanFraserUK

Ever since I discovered that FS2002 could be modded when my neighbour gave it to me, I have gotten the bug (again). You see, I used to mod a couple of other games years ago, and was well into it. So going through huge text files looking for one tiny little variable and designing 3D models is something I am used to. Still annoys me sometimes though...I have now replaced every default airline in FS2002 and added lots more. A few other things have been added too, AI traffic etc. Come to think of it, Heathrow is nuts now for the traffic, I think I should back off that part!Then... I discovered Kai Tak. And I downloaded several files to do with Hong Kong and the actual Airport. But... The modding side of me wants to build my own version of it, and this is where I need some help.First of all, I do not have much information in the way of runway details, the facts and figures side of things, the official FAA stuff. Google is useless I tell you!Next of course, I will want to wipe the original land texture clean I suppose and start completely from scratch. Unless it wasn't actually there before. Which reminds me, I should uninstall what I have put in concerning this airport. By wipe the texture, I just mean the part where the actual airport is, so that for example, I don't have mismatched textures showing up round the edges of what I have done. Is this possible? And what program would I need? I have had a look around, but of course, because I am new, I think the technical terms aren't quite hitting me in the face yet!After that, I think I am generally ok, as I have been playing with a few tools. I have the hang of AFCAD, and quickly getting onto Airport For Windows. Would anyone have any suggestions for other programs directly linked to designing scenery/airports?Once I can nail down the ground stuff, the buildings and scenery on the airport itself will be a walk over, seeing as I have several design tools at my disposal, if I decide that AFW isn't up to the job for the types of buildings I want to add.I have all the 'visual' information on what I want the airport to look like, so it's just getting into the technical side of this new arena of modding that is the hurdle for me to get over, and I suspect it's gonna feel like doing the marathon with a hurdle every 5 yards! Any other hints, tips tricks that you might have, post them! If there's one thing I like, it's learning!Thanks! Dan

First to be sure, you are designing for Fs2002 and not for Fs2004?In that case programs like AFW and FSSC are in general used to make the airport. For doing the buildings GMax is an excellent choice, but there are also people using FSDS2 or NovaSim.About the default textures, if they are part of the mesh scenery I think it is hard to get rid of them. I can't remember how Hong Kong was made in Fs2002, but it can very well be that it is one of the areas covered with photos. In that case you can best just build your airport on top of it. Your aprons etc will hide the photo anyways.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest DanFraserUK

Yep, FS2002. That's what I have, and unfortunately, I am so skint, I cannot afford FS2004!I will have a look at GMax for the buildings, as that may be easier than trying to use AFW to make the buildings.And to the textures, ah well, I'll just extend my scenery a touch so that it doesn't stop at the very edge of the airport.

AFW does not allow you to design buildings at all. You can only place the default buildinds with it, so in general to make detailed 3D objects you certainly need another tool besides AFW.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest DanFraserUK

Well, I suppose that might be a problem! Thanks for the help.

Just to clarify Arno's AFW building design limitations. AFW and SGX can build 3D Generic Buildings within each program. The number and types of buildings are limited to what MS provided in FS2002 and FS2004. See the respective scenery design SDKs for more information. Many combinations of these buildings can produce a plethora of different buildings. Many of the default airports use the 3D Generic Buildings.GMAX or FSDS can be used to make more defined buildings in FS2002 and FS2004. GMAX is better used with FS2004, since the scenery compilation can use the FS2004 GMAX built model file directly.FSDS and other programs making model using the MACRO/API method can be used in FS2004 but must be entered in a separate scenery file using SCASM/BGLC methods.W. Sieffert