Sign in to follow this  
arno

Ground lighting without textures

Guest GeorgeDorkofikis

It was discussed on another thread, but I'm asking again since my post there may have gone unnoticed.I'm very interested to learn how I can do that with GMax.I have an apron light object already designed in GMax, how can I add that landing lights effect so that it illuminates the ground ?Are there any tools I need?As I understand this can only be made with the prior toolkit for FS2002, but onced compiled into a object, that object will work in FS9 as well.Is that correct?Thank you for your helpGeorge DorkofikisAthens, Greece

Hi George,Yes, you can do this with the LIGHT_LAND option in the Fs2002 gamepack. If you assign this to a triangle that will give you a light beam.But this method is not perfect. If you use it too much on an airport the frames will suffer (I once places a couple of hundred and that really killed the frames). Also at low visibility they look really bad, but there is no way to change that.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest GeorgeDorkofikis

Hi Arno,What about using Landing lights?Or is it the same thing as the LIGHT_LAND ?So, you think that it's better to use the texture method rather than this? There are a lot of pylons in LGAV. At least 35 of them!Thanks for your valuable help!George DorkofikisAthens, Greecehttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/betaimg.jpg

Hi George,Yes, it is the same as the landing lights.I think it depends on your airport what you want to do. I made some light poles with 6 light beams each. After placing them everywhere where they were on the real airport, my framerates were gone. But if you use them a little more carefull it works well. I think it depends on your personal taste. The visibility problem as low visibility range might not be a problem for you as well, but in the Netherlands it is kind of common weather.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog