Sign in to follow this  
Guest ajpatterson

Airport Flatten

Guest ajpatterson

I have searched this forum as well as all kinds of web sites and have not really found any help on this question.I am working on a local airport, adding missing buildings, lakes, etc. There is a lake located very near the end of one runway and about 90 feet below runway level. The problem is that Microsoft used way too big of a flatten area (a few hundred meter past the end of the runway) for this airport and I cannot remesh the terrain near the end of the runway. Is there any way to resize this flatten so that I can remesh closer to the runway?

Try locating the FLxxxxxx.bgl for this airport via LWMViewer or other mean. Once found, you would have to replace the FLxxxxx.bgl with one of your own, since I think the old flatten file would still effect the scenery. You can then change the flatten area to meet your needs. Another issue may be the terrain mesh causing the problems, which is another problem in itself.The problem with replacing the default flatten would be if you intend to upload your airport for others. Replacing default files causes problems since another designer may want to change the same file for their airport, which may negate your changes.W. Sieffert

Hi AJ.You could use a number of flattening tools to remesh the default flatten. I'd suggest a step-like design to slope it to where you'd like. LWM3 code allows a slope, but the tools we use generally only allow LWM2, which are flat... that's OK, just make the steps close together. SBuilder or Ground2K4 can do this, and Steve Greenwood also has a flatten utility that could do the trick:http://www.fs-traveler.com/resources-g.shtmlDick

Guest ajpatterson

I tried to remesh the default flatten using Ground2k4 but was unable to figure out how to do it, I can remesh all around the flatten, I just don't know how to remesh the flatten itself. I am hesitant to change the default fl***.bgl because I may want to distribute these scenery improvements.