Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

Terrain Map Texture Files?

One of the mysteries I'd like to solve is this: where does FS store the "terrain map texture" that is displayed in the default GPS?It is simple enough to "fetch" the "terrain map texture" via XML code in a gauge, but thus far a method of doing the same thing in a C gauge had eluded me...The SDK's are - typically enough for MS - completely useless since there are C gauge events defined to "fetch" the files, but zero explanation on how to display them, once fetched...Does anyone know where the "terrain map textures" are stored? That might provide the needed clue that will enable C gauge programmers to access them... ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hi Bill,I'm not positive about this but I believe those "maps" are in fact created on the fly. Any changes my landscape projects make to the distribution and location of scenery elements (terrain, water bodies, shorelines, etc.) are correctly displayed in the GPS, which indicates to me that there isn't any pre-defined set of maps.Just don't ask me HOW the terrain is read and displayed in the GPS window... ;-)Cheers, Holger

>Hi Bill,>Just don't ask me HOW the terrain is read and displayed in the>GPS window... ;-)Holger, I believe that you are probably right on the money with that, since I've never found anything that remotely resembles a set of "terrain map textures." Although I can parse the GPS's XLM code, the functionality is masked by use of commands that aren't explained anywhere... but which I suspect are hidden function calls to symmap.dll and terrain.dll (possibly others as well).

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator