Sign in to follow this  
scott967

default coastline question

Hi,I just started to check in what way the VFRTurkey scenery in the AVSIM library enhances the representation of this wonderful city. It has new coastlines (apparently made with an earlier version of Ground2k) which in places match those in the default scenery, in other places not. So my curiosity was aroused. I downloaded a satellite image of the region from GLCF, reprojected it using ERDAS, calculated the coordinates for the relevant part of the resulting picture and took that as a base map for Ground2k4. After designing the coastline with LWM-Polygons I compared the result in LWM-Viewer with the default HP955170 and HL955170 files . I was rather astonished to see that the coastlines in MS are systematically, not randomly off from what I got from Ground2k4 for about 3/4 of a LOD13 area to the East and to the North.In order to exclude the possibility of an error in my calculation of the map coordinates (or in the reprojecting process) I compared the position of the runway ends of Atat

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

My understanding is that they used one of two NGA products: World Vector Shoreline or Digital Chart of the World.scott s..