Sign in to follow this  
Justin Toposim

SCENERY COMPATIBILITY QUESTION? What would you do???...

I sent the following e-mail today requesting information, and received the following answer. Based on this, I'd like to ask you intelligent flight simmers for your opinion on how I should proceed. What would you do?MY E-MAIL TO IMAGINESIM:Good morning,I've been patiently building up my scenery for the Denver and Front Range areas of the Colorado Rockies. I've been holding off purchasing your (IMAGINESIM'S) Denver airport upgrade (but plan to do so if it will work seamlessly with the other products I've purchased and freeware I've installed.) I'm still awaiting shipment of MegaCity Denver, which will be released on March 7th. I hope you can provide clarification for me based on my current scenery configuration.Here is my status:> 38m mesh for entire USA - installed> Colorado Lakes Project (freeware) - installed> USA ROADS - installed> Airport Environmental Upgrade 7 (freeware) - installed> **Awaiting delivery of MEGACITY DENVER photorealistic sceneryQUESTION: Once I have the entire grouping (above) installed, what should happen when I install your (IMAGINESIM'S) Denver Airport Scenery? All I could find out from one company, thus far, is that when I install the MEGACITY DENVER photo realistic scenery, it should "overlay" USA ROADS for the Denver metro area. What affect, if any, should your airport upgrade have? Will it install and work as advertised?I'm anxiously awaiting your reply. Thanks in advance.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Since 38.2m terrain is now ubiquitous and free, airport designers should use it as a template for their creations instead of the default terrain, and if need be, include at least a small surrounding area of 38.2m terrain in their distributions.The word "Altered" should be replaced by the word "accurate."IMHO-------Justinhttp://www.fsgenesis.netHigh Quality Scenery for FS200x

Should the airport not just be put at it's real altitude? If the altitude data is accurate, there will be not true in that case.Each airport has a flatten anyway (just like the default scenery has). So the only problem that could appear is a plateau on which the airport is located if the mesh scenery really differs from the real altitude of the airport.

Hi Justin,These objects should be placed with commands that always take the mesh altitude. Using a hard coded altitude is not a very good idea in that case.Maybe the origional poster is just worrying a bit too much, as in general there should not be enormous problems.

HI Arno,I completely agree. But apparently some designers have used absolute elevations based on default terrain, since there apparently has been problems with, for instance, Richard Goldstein's earlier stuff when used with high-res terrain mesh. Floating or sunken buldings, and such. There was quite a bit of discussion about this on some of the forums a few months back about product incompatibility with high-res terrain mesh.Of course, later work of this genre has included it's own high-res terrain, and the incompatibility problems have abated.-------Justinhttp://www.fsgenesis.netHigh Quality Scenery for FS200x