Sign in to follow this  
Gridley

So, how important are those hooks...

...for VTP shorelines? I've been making really thin shores, and they start to become very obvious in slarti output. It is much faster just to remove them, than to try and reduce their size...Read through a few threads here, and while I think everyone agrees that they're needed, no one really stated what happens if they're not there...Just thought maybe someone here could save me the time and energy of actually doing the experiment.Thanks!sg

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi ScottHere is a picture that I will not upload to avsim or it will get lost in a week or so:http://www.ptsim.com/downloads/hooks.gifA - an original 30 meter wide line made with 4 points in SbuilderB - same line decompiled with Sbuilder (Remove Hooks = ON)C - same line decompiled with Sbuilder with (Remove Hooks = OFF)D - same line decompiled with LWMViewerE - same line decompiled with TMFViewer (Draw Wide Lines as Lines)F - same line decompiled with TMFViewer (Draw Wide Lines as Lines)G - same line decompiled with TMFViewer (... + Fill Polygons)If you are using SB (or G2K as far as I can tell) the hooks will be created, which means that the 4-point line will become a 6-point line in the BGL. The reason is that the wide line is made with triangles (as F clearly illustrates) and the 2 extra points are really necesary.If hooks were not used strange artifacts will appear.Regards, Luis

Not that important for shorelines necessarily.If you don't add hooks the following happens:- half of your end line segmements go missing. MS programmed the end segments so they fade out. Not a big problem if you're using high density points.- problems with associated autogen. Since coastlines don't have autogen associated this is not a problem.You could trial it without and if everything looks ok, you'll get away without.Cheers, Christian

Thanks for the replies, guys.I'm going to try without and see what happens...