Sign in to follow this  
Guest mtom

Over-riding VTP road-based polys

Guest mtom

Hi Fellas.I was wondering whether you'd be able explain or possibly solve an issue I'm having with VTP road-based polys. I'm trying to enhance some scenery with ground2K4 over the top some existing 3rd party scenery. I want to keep the 3rd party scenery because it's a great improvement to the default, but I want to improve on it again. The 3rd party scenery is based on Ground2K4 for FS9. All is well except for two things. (1) In one area the 3rd party scenery is causing a line of telegraph poles to run through an airfield. There's no actual road through the airfield to cause the line of poles, but nonetheless resolve because of the 3rd party addon. They are not there in the default scenery or because of anything I've done. I've overlaid ground texture VTP polys to make the scenery more geographically accurate, but the line of poles remain. The poles actually go on for miles, again without any corresponding road.(2) In another area I've overlaid some ground texture VTP polys to more accurately represent that area. In this case a discernable road and poles exist as a consequence of the 3rd party scenery. When I overlay the VTP polys, the road disappears, but poles remain. In both cases I've increased the level of the VTP ground texture poly to as high as it'll go but that has no effect. I've also tried AFW and SGX excludes over the areas but that doesn't work either. Any clues on how I can eliminate them?Cheers,Matthew.

Hallo Matthew,it sounds like the problem (unwanted telephone poles) is caused by oldstyle VTP lines. Search for "hook vtpchildpoint" in this forum...As far as I know, it is not possible the suppress these poles aside from removing the 3rd-party bgl.The newer versions of Ground2k4 generate correct code. You might ask the 3rd party developer to recompile his project with the newest version of Ground2k4.Regards, Edgar

Hello Matthew,As Edgar mentions, this error is due to our not correctly understanding the code for roads some time ago. This now works well, but any roads made using previous methods will display the poles at quite some distance from the road. Luis de S

Guest mtom

Hi Edgar and Luis.Think I've asked a dumb-#### question here. It dawned on me that I hadn't fully utilised the Ground2K4 exclude facility properly. With their correct application, the problem's been fixed. Got into a linear track in my thinking, probably because the VTP ground texture polys do exclude some roads and rivers and I'd recently been confronted with FS9 object exclusion problems with AFCAD. So, I was going with wrong techniques. I've probably wasted your time a bit, but I suppose there's nothing wrong with these issues being publicised on the forum. Had a look at Hook Childpoint post. Script is usually a bit over my head, so its a bit lost me. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.As I understand it, the SGX excludes are XML, whereas the APW are Scasm. Neither worked for getting rid of the offending power poles, but they might be like taxiway markers in the exclusion effect is sometimes dependent on the exclusion of the first in the line of objects. If you can't find the initial pole, then the rest won't be excluded.Once again, thanks for all the input. Do appreciate your expertise in these matters.Cheers,Matthew.

Guest mtom

Hi.One more subsequent observation is that in drawing a new road with an end that intersects with the old (now invisable) road from the prior scenery has the effect of reigniting the line of power poles. No level of exclusion in Ground2K4 will eliminate them. It seems that the end of the new road must therefore be located elsewhere. Just thought I'd add this to the end of the thread.Cheers,Matthew.