Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jos

Helipad AFCADs and flattens?

I'm trying to find the definitive requirements for AFCADs to be used with elevated hardened GMAX objects, and whether the requirements are the same for both AI use and user use.Specifically, what we're trying to do is make offshore oil rigs, and we've gotten a lot of help from the folks over at www.hovercontrol.com but we still get rigs sitting on top of little hills of water under certain circumstances.What we've done is create an AFCAD with an altitude of the hardened surface of the helipad in the default FS9 rig object. Then, we create a small flatten to prevent the afcad from deforming the water. This works great for the platforms if you start there, however when flying over them after starting some distance away, the flattens don't load (I've gotten the same info from the hovercontrol gang). The Hovercontrol work-around is to adjust the mesh accuracy by 1% (or toggle object shadows) and FS reloads the mesh, including the flattens, and everything looks perfect again.Not being satisfied with that, I'd like to know if anyone else knows a way to get the rigs to be useable for AI and user flight, without having this elevated water problem.Thanks!sg

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

Guest Jos

Hi,-----------------------but we still get rigs sitting on top of little hills of water under certain circumstances.-----------------------I think you better do it as follows:1. Place the rig at the wanted location;2. Draw a flatten around the rigs;3. Configure an invisible runway who covers the rig landing place at the altitude of the rig landing zone of course (always the first step to make a landable platform):4. Configure at sea level the so called anchor: the second invisible runway (this is always the next step);5. Call up your first "invisible runway" and add the Afcad and all the navaids.This way of working is for FS2002 and executed with Airport for Windows 2.6. But I think/hope that the principe also works with FS9.Greetz. Jos

Thanks, Jos

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)