Sign in to follow this  
arno

GMAX LOD question

Guest JohnC

I have a very detailed main airport building with lots of stuff up close (photoreal textured luggage carts, mules, etc.) so I decided to create a lower value LOD to help frame rates, etc. I had no problem doing so, and I am certain I am switching fom the lower LOD to the higher properly. I put a large blue sphere temporarily above the terminal in the lower LOD group, so I have a visual cue as to when the system switches to LOD100 as I slew toward it. Heres what puzzles me. My system switches from LOD099 to LOD100 before I get to the airport boundary????I would prefer to keep the detail out until I get much closer...but I suspect fractional values are not allowed. Can someone explain how FS9 uses the LOD numbers? I have heard of LOD values above 100.

Hi Jon.I've used LOD numbers as high as 600. I think they can go mush higher.Arno may correct me here, but off the top of my head, it seems the LOD numbers are controlled by the number of pixels used on the screen for displaying the object ( vertical direction? ).Change your screen resolution, or zoom level, and the trigger point for the LOD range will be changed as well.Dick

Guest JohnC

I'll try 600 and 599 first time I get a chance. Thanks for the info.

Yes, Dick is right. The LODs are not switched at a certain distance, but when the object occupies a certain amount of pixels (vertical direction indeed if I remember correct).

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog