Sign in to follow this  

OT: I get viruses every day in e-mail. What do I do?

Insist your ISP to put a good antivirus software, besides having one of your own. After all if my utility provider supplies water with poison I'll go after him irrespective of whether I have a filter or not at home. Not opening attachment is nearly foolproof. For some reason my FS doesnt run if I put NV so have been without any virus protection for years. Only once did I fall for the bait and had this KLEZ@mm virus. That mail promised enlargement of certain part of my anatomy and what is that they say?- curosity killed the cat! Never ever again.Santanu

>I also had this W32 thingy in my mail, it's just a >massmailer going around at the moment (Norton had a special >warning about it on its site some days ago). >But following the rules already mentioned here, this virus >is no harm at all, especially as Norton always catches it. >Additionally, I always immediately delete any files having >an attachment where I >a) don't know the sender >:( don't trust the sender very much and have no clue what >sense the attachment might have. >>If it was something important, bad luck for the sender.=) >Never got a virus on my computer that way. >>Regards, >>Robert Personally, I think thats a bit overkill. For example, jpegs and other image formats cannot contain virii. Also asimple text document wont contain a virus. I would say only deleteunknow exe, scr, and those suggested by the virus program. Also never open a file that appears to have to extentions like example.jpg.scr.Thats designed to appear to be a jpeg and when opened windows tries to launch the scr extention, therby activating the virus.

>In addition to the address change, you might tell this story >to your ISP. They may wish to hear about it. >>I stopped getting spammed when I dropped that outfit..well, >let's just say they advertise their service heavily on TV >("New version 7.0. THats almost a no brainer. Only natural that the most popular and crappiest provider(IMHO)would be bombarded by virii and spam. I love my latest Norton. CHecks both incoming and every outgoing mail as well as all downloads and uploads.Pete

>Insist your ISP to put a good antivirus software, besides >having one of your own. After all if my utility provider >supplies water with poison I'll go after him irrespective of >whether I have a filter or not at home. Not opening >attachment is nearly foolproof. For some reason my FS doesnt >run if I put NV so have been without any virus protection >for years. Only once did I fall for the bait and had this >KLEZ@mm virus. That mail promised enlargement of certain >part of my anatomy and what is that they say?- curosity >killed the cat! Never ever again. >>Santanu LOL. Hmmm. WOrks fine for me with NOrton and FS turned on. But to play online it is recommended to turn off firewalls and anti-virus.Oh and most definatley, to the others, if you are recieving virii every day, then your ISP's anti-virus sytem sucksPete

Guest EGLD

Then you should go and research the latest viruses :)because some viruses can be executed just by having the viewing pane open. That pane uses Internet Explorer and it is a hole in that that some viruses exploit.Make sure you visit windowsupdate.microsoft.com to plug that hole in IE

Guest wkzzo

A couple of things I didn't mention in my first post was to keep your os up to date with security patches. If your not networking your computers turn off file and print sharing ,this is a big security hole in windows. Also windows xp specific, although win 2000 may have this also ,disable these two services( SSDP Discovery Service)(Universal Plug and Play Device Host)I set these to disabled. This site lists all the services and what they do- http://blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm To do this just type services.msc in your run box and right click on these and set to disabled. If you would like more info on this you can read it at this link, its a great internet security site -http://grc.com/unpnp/unpnp.htm

I use Mail Washer. Basically you can preview msgs and bounce them back to the sender as if you don't exist. Good for spam.Bic

10700k / Gigabyte 3060

THanks for all the replies guys. I have learned a lot and I will follow your advice.Take careMike

Guest Eagle

I have been getting a lot of the W32Klez.H@mm virus in email. What I did was copy the message and then I contacted comcast.net (this is where the email came) and sent them a copy of the email. The sender was not using their real name, but, comcast found him. He is now blacklisted.Give this a try. You can get the information if using Outlook Express by right clicking on the email and selecting "Detail". At the bottom right click on "message" and copy the text. Then paste it in the message to whatever server the message came from.Hope this makes sense.

Thanks. I'll give it a try.Mike

My providor www.lafn.org is so strict (anti spam) that 7 out of 10 emails intended for me are now being bounced. The main reason is open relay servers or your ISP is blacklisted.It's got so bad that I no longer use it!I'm happy with Yahoo! (Do you Yahoo!?)They can scan your files for you using Norton AntiVirus.

YYAAAHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! :-lolOf course I Yahoo!