Sign in to follow this  
Guest digipilot

Please, please design SO CAL general aviation airport scenery

Guest digipilot

I mostly fly southern and central california regions in ga planes. I have to tip my hat to Shehryar Ansari and especially Al Wheeler for their outstanding Burbank and Central Cal airport scenery! Al - any interest in heading south and designing CMA, SZP, OXR, VNY, WHP or SMO. Shehryar...how about TOA,LGB,AVX,CRQ, or OKB?You guys have made an awesome contribution and added so much to California flight simulation, I hope your work continues on...even as payware because its that good. Any other persons interested in SO CAL ga airports?

Guest awheeler

Thanks for the kind words.I'll have to pass on expanding my scenery area. I now live in the Seattle area and feel that the best situation for creating FS scenery is to live in or near the scenery area. Pictures and drawings are helpful but there's nothing like a visit to the airport. I get to the CCC area occasionally but rarely any further south. Additionally, I don't really have the time to take on any more areas.FS scenery is pretty easy to construct these days with all the great freeware utilities that are available. I suggest that you give it a try. You might find as I have that making scenery is actually more interesting than flying over it. By the way, switching to payware is out of the question. My scenery is virtually a community effort with all of the freeware objects and utilities I use plus the assistance and suggestions I've received from several people. I have close to a full page of credits in my readme files and there's only one commercial item listed.

Guest digipilot

Al...I am exploring the idea of trying my own hand at designing. I definitely agree with your idea of making it a community effort. If I can do it as well or even close to you, I am going to feel great about sharing that with the flight simming community. Good luck up in Seattle and thanks again for your contributions.

Thanks for the appreciation.Currently I have three concurrent projects on the go all being designed with different tools and each at a different level of detail. Two are socal airports and are work in progress right now (LGB at a medium complexity level and ONT at a high detail level). The third is a small but important GA airport in Florida (lower complexity level) and is complete, and will be released this weekend. As for future projects, I want to move focus outside California so am still contemplating other airports not yet done by anyone (HOU for example). I was thinking of tinkering around with VNY as a spare time project but it has too much content for a side project. Of course like Al I would also like to visit the airport myself, however in almost cases this has not been possible. Do you have pics of any 'small' GA airport in socal?RegardsShez

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

Guest digipilot

I am very excited to hear you are working on LGB and ONT. Folks fond of FL and TX are going to be very excited about your work there too I am sure.VNY would be such a great addition. It is really a trophy airport in my opinion being the busiest GA airport in the U.S. There is a restaurant there named 98th Aero Squadron that I get my fill of plane watching at...arms length from the taxiway. I'll take some pics for you from there. Just about everything you could imagine flys out of there...lears, citationjets, G5s, warbirds, extra's, canards, b-25's, b-17's, LAFD fire tankers, 737's, 727's, etc, etc. You can also get a great idea of the KVNY layout from google earth. I also like CMA...flown out of there on number of occasions for real. CMA used to be an air force base with a single 10,000 foot long runway. Its been shortened for GA purposes. There are is a connie out there on the old a/f tarmac being restored and other old transports. There is a great aviation warbird museum at mid airport on the south side. On the southwest end of the runway they have an ultralight field. There is a huge watertower with beacon on the south side of the airport. There is a large air force campus (now civilian use) on the south side of the airport that is almost like a time warp driving through. Its just a really neat place.Thanks again for the great contribution. Pictures to follow soon.

Guest seev_39

Why not try the do-it-yourself approach with Rwy12 Object Placer program. Use version 1.2 and follow installation instructions and other advise as in the new Q&A which you will find in my site (tutorial section)Rwy12 Object Placer teamhttp://www.sk-flightsim.com/http://www.rwy12.com/

Guest digipilot

I am totally illiterate when it comes to computers. Downloading and installing scenery files is a challenge for me. I am interested in learning how to do it, but is it realistic for a guy like me to be able to deliver quality airport scenery the caliber everyone else can enjoy?