Sign in to follow this  
1st fltsimguy

Ability to Move Around Faster in Ground2K4 Bitmap Project

I am working on a project evolving Mt Rainier Natl Park. I am significantly rebuilding the area, remapping every creek, alpine lake,waerfalls, hiking trails, every face of the mountain is getting a facelift for rock, glaciers, moraine rock and mudflow deposits, alpine meadow, swamps etc. you get the drift.To make an exacting replica I have secured commercial topographic mapping of the entire area, and actually the entire state of Washington.I have extracted a bitmap that covers the entire Mt. Rainier Nat'l Pk area, and since its a large area with considerable detail.In G2K4, I am using the zoom in and out buttons on the top menu bar and am using the scroll up and down left and right arrows on the bottom and right side margins. Every movement requires multiple clicks in and out and around, its a pain at times as I over scroll the area I am working on frequently. I am using a trackball mouse and while I can "whip" around fairly well, I would prefer to also apply the scroll wheel for movements.However, I have no mouse scrolling/zooming capability and quite frankly am finding it a huge pain to no be able to move around quicker as I work on details.Does anyone know of some feature that would allow faster fluid movement around the project area?

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Guest Bell206freak

You may want to try Sbuilder instead of Ground 2K4.I do, however, find it ironic that you and I are practically working on the same goal - to revise Mt. Rainier in Flight Simulator to what it should look like in reality.In fact, I released a high-resolution satellite ground imagery pack (Mount Rainier Photoreal Scenery Package here at AVSIM, filename mtrainierscenery.zip) way back in February, and ever since I haven't done anything with it.Recently though, I was able to achieve success with modifying VTP polygons and LWM/VTP data (roads, rivers, etc), and adding autogen to photoreal satellite imagery.In light of that success, I revisited my Mt. Rainier package. That was a month ago, and a week and a half ago I began adding autogen to it. The entire package has close to 2,000 separate scenery bitmap tiles, and I usually get to about 80-120 per night.The next release will accomplish practically what you also plan on doing. Revising every bit of scenery around it. I am revising it all to reflect rock features such as the massive Carbon lacier headwall known as the Willis Wall, to the Mowich Face on the mountain's west side, and to the west and east crater rim at the summit. I also plan on covering all the major roads, (dirt included) and all of the visitor centers with gMax-built versions.As a result, my package will be a two-part download. One will contain the photoreal ground scenery portion (I recently enhanced the image for better clarity and detail), and the other will contain the modified landclass, revised LWM/VTP data, and the gmax scenery.Perhaps we could team up on this?

Where do I start?Firstly I do have Sbuilder and haven't yet put it into action. But printed off the manual this week and am reading it this weekend so that I can be familiar with the program and its capabilities.Secondly, I have your scenery from Feb., it is good work and certainly great for higher level flying, as you note photoreal scenery is always a challenge at lower elevations for clarity.And, by the sounds of it we are aiming for the same objective. I could never understand that Microsoft never produced a high end coverage of the "Mountain", given its right in their backyard.Anyway, I kick myself for not posting a note about my work earlier, I was wondering if there was someone else out there that would collaborate on the area.I have you email from your photoreal scenery package and will send you a PM tonight on the matter.What started out as a pet project, because I have hiked almost every single trail in the park several times, and have a personal love for the area I just toyed with putting in the hiking trails. That soon became more involved when I found that the default stream and UT rivers and streams were terrible for the areas close to the mountain, then one thing lead to another. Opps I am off topic.My work has now included new textures for trails, several colour tones and transparency, new glacier textures, new rock and moraine and outwash textures and borrowed textures for rivers and mudflows with permission from Holger Sandmann's and his Columbia River Gorge scenery.I am still looking for info if anyone knows on how to get around the bitmap faster rather than the endless clicking that seems to be required.cheers

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3