Sign in to follow this  
Guest apwright

Problem with erroneous default water flattening

Guest apwright

Hi all,in my quest to redraw the islands of Kiribati, I have encountered a problem.This is Nonouti Atoll (approx. S0.6*E174.4*). http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/133938.jpgOn the left is how it appears in FS9 by default. Completely wrong! With the land and sea reversed in the elongated-horseshoe island at the bottom.On the right is my redrawn version of the southern end with the problem area bounded by the old default coastline (subsequently excluded of course!).The problem is that the area inside the old coastline was water (although it should have been land), and now when I add the mesh data I don't get any elevation inside the old coast. It's all 0' asl. Outside the old coast everything is OK - the mesh is properly aligned with the land 'cos I've checked it in LWMViewer2 (brilliant!). I've tried putting the mesh file in different scenery folders, trying to override the default, but no joy.Has anyone encountered this sort of thing before? It's not really a big deal. The elevations of these atolls are not huge anyway! I could just leave it at 0' and nobody would notice! But I'd like to know if there's a solution. I can't help feeling I'm overlooking something really obvious...Thanks for any assistance!AdrianLGTS

Hi Adrian,this is indeed a problem with LWM flattens.If a LWM polygon defines a height, it owerwrites *all* mesh data. Later you can hide the LWM data (turn water into land or vice versa), but the height information stays.You can can change the height in parts with VTP polygons (this is used by the remesh function of G2k).Or you could convert the LWM data of the whole cell (in the HP*.bgl) - strip the height data from the file and create mesh-clinging water. But this changes default scenery files...See also "River flattens...any cure yet?" http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...77&mesg_id=1979Regards,Edgar

Guest jimkeir

Hi,Nice to see a happy customer for LV2 :) Why not give [a href=http://www.jimkeir.co.uk/FlightSim/Autogen/index.html]Slarti[/a] a go; even if you don't want to use any of the coastline-processing features, it can create LWM remesh files for you if you have elevation data handy. These effectively override the default files which have reduced the area to sealevel. It's not as precise as actual mesh data but it does work to some extent.Cheers,Jim

Hi there,and here's the voice of a happy customer of Slartibartfast ;-) I'm mostly using it for lake and ocean shoreline development but if you're curious how well the re-mesh option works check out vicenh05.zip by Jon Patch and yours truly. The re-mesh files can be en-/disabled via a batch file so it's easy to compare the result with and without re-meshing.Thanks again, Jim!Cheers, Holger

Guest apwright

Thanks for the feedback, guys.The immediate problem of the island/lake has been solved thanks to Edgar's remarks about LWMs that sent me back to check everything thoroughly. It would have helped to deactivate the correct default HP...bgl file. Silly me had disabled the wrong one!Jim & Holger, LV2 is truly remarkable, although I expect I've barely scratched the surface of what it can do. I use it just to check that my meagre creations are in the right place and to work out which default bgls are affected (when I remember). I had a look at Slarti a while ago, but it seemed a very steep learning curve for me with all that having to write files and stuff before it would run. I went instead for something that I could just fire up and see what I was doing!Having said that, I'm sure Slarti would have been ideal for what I'm doing now. Drawing all these fiddly atolls by hand in G2K4 is very hard on the eyes and mouse muscles. :-)And trying to add the mesh after drawing the islands is probably not the best way to do it either. This is my first excursion into the world of mesh and I'm seriously considering not bothering with it. I'm getting some strange results using the SRTM v2 data and FSDEM. Land 50 and 60ft asl (smoothly rising, not isolated spikes) in atolls that should be nowhere higher than 15ft. Is there a metres/feet confusion going on here? :-hmmmIt also makes my sea go all crinkly and I don't fancy drawing round those coastlines again to flatten it with LWM water polys!Anyway, I'll see how it goes.Thanks again for your help!Regards from Greece,Adrian