Sign in to follow this  
Guest kenmc

Airport below grade level problem

Hi Folks I recently installed FSGenesis 38 mesh for British Columbia and have been enjoying the much improved scenery. However a few problems have showed up. One of the small airports in my area is now about 100 ft. below the level of the surrounding scenery. Some of the microsoft lakes are away up in the air and look ridiculous. I know it's not FSGenesis fault because the height data was taken from shuttle radar. I can raise the level of the runway using AFCAD but I don't know how to raise the flatten under it. Any suggestions? Thanks Ken

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Ken:That is caused by the default flattens in the default scenery. If it is for your own use, the easiest solution, in my opinion, is to back up the default file, then append it in SBuilder and correct the altitudes of the airport bases and water polygons. You might want to change the name, so it won't be confused with a default file, and can be more easily identified if you should change back to the default mesh at a later date. There are other solutions that are better if you are planning to release some scenery for distribution.

It could be that the default airport is in the wrong location, and the altitude is actually correct. Assuming you are happy with the location, using the sbuilder method is probably best. If you plan to use other addons in the same area, changing the default files may not be the best answer. Instead just use that portion of the default that you need to fix and crate a new scenery area for the resulting file. The problem with this method is that the default AFCAD data can cause AI aircraft to float or sink. That can be fixed too, it just adds to the work. An option for the lakes problem is addon terrain such as UT Canada. This product backs up all the default terrain and installs its own.scott s..

ArchTx and Scott-Thanks Guys for your input.I'll try your suggestions. Regards, Ken