Sign in to follow this  
Guest cwright

How hard is FSDS?

Gents-What I want to do is start creating a static aircraft library objects. I will then place the objects into FS via EZ scenery. I know there is currently a file containing some static planes for EZ but I want to create a better looking package and then share it with others. I am planning on getting FSDS as it seems it is easier to use than gmax. All I want to do is create static models with various liveries that look good. So how hard is FSDS in regards to wanting to do this? Will there be a steep learning curve as I have never desgined stuff before. Thanks.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

FSDS is easy to learn, and only has a modest learning curve. As I recall, I became fairly proficient at it after completing the exercises that came with FSDS, as well as some tutorials that I found online. After that, I learned little tricks here and there, but generally I am able to get most work done using the basic skills I learned from the exercises.Having said that, have you given GMax a try? When I crossed over to GMax, I found it a bit trickier to use, but mostly it required a different way of thinking than FSDS. Otherwise, I did the same thing and completed the tutorials which gave me the fundamentals I needed. Don't be disheartened by the many features of GMax, since many won't be used in your average project. My logic is that if you are smart enough to become proficient at FSDS, then you can become equally proficient at GMax. Also, there are a lot more GMax users nowadays than there used to be so there will be plenty of help here in the forums if needed.So, if you have to know, I still use both programs for my scenery. I admire the simplicity and familiarity of FSDS. - Martin

As Martin says, it's worth giving some consideration to gmax. Assuming you have FS2004, gmax is free as it's bundled with FS.gmax has a learning curve that's steeper than FSDS. Also FSDS has tools specifically designed for aircraft design. On the other hand, gmax is a *much* more powerful program (it's functionally nearly identical to 3ds max, which will set you back thousands of dollars). gmax is a fantastic bargain. I think the biggest advantage of gmax is the user interface. For example, you can model in the 3D perspective view, something completely impossible in FSDS. The FSDS user interface is closely based on a program called Imagine that was state of the art on the Amiga some twenty years ago. Unfortunately it means that by today's standards the user interface is primitive. I certainly regarded the original FSDS user interface to be primitive and I don't think the latest version has changed significantly in this respect. Why not try gmax as you probably already have it on the FS CD? Work through a few of the (excellent) basic tutorials. Then, if you decide it's not for you, get FSDS. Both FSDS and gmax are excellent programs. Best regards, Chris