Sign in to follow this  
tasmanet

Help, please, with getting partly transparent textures

Guest wombat5128

Would someone please assist me with getting a transparent texture to work?I have used EOD to build a ship. With Airport 2.60, I can then put this ship atany arbitrary ocean location, and then with FS2002 can fly over it. That part works really, really well.I have now used ordinary Paintbrush to create a very simple bow wave and a wake. So it's a 512 X 512 bitmap, mainly black, with some white, grey and blue water.Then I used DXTBmp to process the bitmap. I select the black Alpha channel (to make the black parts transparent), and in the alpha channel preview I see that that works. That is, the black stays black in the preview channel, and all other colours show white. I save it as an extended 24bit bitmap (which seems to be gross overkill for only three colours, but that's what the Help.html screens suggest) of type DXT1. I place this texture file in its final location under FS2002/Add-on/My_scenery/Location/Texture and ensure that EOD, Airport and DXTBmp are all pointing to that same location.Meanwhile, back at EOD,I add to the ship a horizontal plane 1.0 metres above the water. That's a little high for reality, but I want to make sure that this plane will definitely be visible above the water. Finally, I paint the plane with the above bitmap. The transparency business seems to work there, too, because the parts that I want transparent show as bright green, which harking back to DXTBmp, seems correct.Moving forward to Airport, I throw my presumeably now-textured ship into another location, compile the BGL, load it into FS2002. Looking at the SCASM code that Airport generates and the ship.api, everything looks fine. It's pointing to the right texture file, which exists, in the right place.But.... when I now fly there, the ship is there, but the textured wake plane is not. I've tried texturing a few other surfaces just for experimentation, but to no avail.I've posted all the steps in detail to show that whilst I may be a newbie at this scenery design bizness, I believe that I have made a reasonable effort on my own so far.Could someone suggest what other things to try? Wot am I doing wrong?

Maybe your ship is still a little low in the watereven though you allowed a meter clearence for the for the water/wake ???Yaw your plane down to the water level and have a look.

Of course I meant Slew your plane down to the water level and have a look.