Sign in to follow this  
Guest JohnC

GEOREFERENCING PHOTOREAL MAPS

I USE TOPOZONE TO FIND LAT/LONG COORDINATES AND I WONDER IF ANYONE HAS USED ANOTHER SOURCE WHICH MIGHT GIVE READINGS WITH MORE ACCURACY?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Depends on what you are trying to accomplish and where in the world you are.For example, you can use USAPhotoMaps to access terraserver DRG (topos), DOQQ (aerials), and Hi-res Urban (aerials). You could also use NASA Worldwind for this. An alternative would be GIS software that can display vector data. I use a payware Global Mapper, but there are several freewares. Try Quantum GIS. You can load eg the NIMA DAFIF data in shapefile format, or USGS DLGs or US Census TIGER and use vector features for obtaining positions.In using these types of programs, use care in observing the projection and datum used for the data. You want WGS-84 datum preferably. NAD83 will also give you the same lat/long.scott s..

Hi Scott..I'm only interested in the US lower 48..I use Topozone/take the UTM values and convert them using Jeeep.com's UTM to Lat Long conversions to put GMAX pushpins onto the terrain in order to (as precisely as patience will allow), get (as refined as possible) georeferencing. I have a color DOQ source on a CD and use ArcExplorer to extract BMP's from the CD. Thanks for the other sources. I'll look into them.