Sign in to follow this  
scruffyduck

Help ObPlacer question

Hello,Because Arno has just started to enjoy his holiday to corse, I thought maybr that here would me more ObPlacer users to help....I just (re)installed ObPlacer v0.40 in a seperate directory toghether with scas.exe (latest). However when trying to insert some macro/api files as described in the manual i'll get a run time error 53 "file not found" error.I tried with reinstalling .net, VB, etc stuff but without the desired results. What's could be wrong here?all the best,Rob__________________Rob de Vries Rob "Holland&Holland" de Vries http://fool.exler.ru/sm/fly2.gif"To go up, pull the stick back. To go down, pull the stick back harder"

RobdeVries.jpg

Hi,If nobdy knows. Is there another tool to place macro's or api's in the sim which works likes Arno's tool does. I.e. by getting lat/long information directly from FS.RobRob "Holland&Holland" de Vries http://fool.exler.ru/sm/fly2.gif"To go up, pull the stick back. To go down, pull the stick back harder"

RobdeVries.jpg

Obkect Placer uses VB6 runtimes, not dotNET. Can you tell me when the error occurs - is it on startup?There are other tools which work the same way such as RWY12 or my utility LOM/Scenery Maker but there is no reason why Object Placer should not work. Also EZ-Scenery from Abacus does it but that is pay ware These progams will place FS9 objects but they won't place older API macro based objects. If you want a freeware program to place both api macros and FS9 objects then Sbuilder can certainly do it.

OK I just read your post over on Arnos site and I think I have misunderstood the version of Object Placer you are using. I assumed that you are using the XML version but maybe you are using or wanting to use the version which is for the old API Macro scenery objects. In this case programs like RWY12 or EZ-Scenery cannot help. SBuilder can place API objects as can Airport for Windows and FSSC.

Hi Scruffy and thanks for taking the time to (re)answer my questions.I especially wanted to use ObPlacer because it's a simple tool to place the older api format stuff and i'm very fond of Tom Fica's macro's (Does the guy still life and hang around in the FS scene?)However, I installed per instructions. Open FS, slew to the desired position. Via ObPlacer GUI I insert the desired api, places the object and wanting to compile by pressing Compile scenery button.Scasm.exe is in the same directory as ObPlacer.exe. And after pressing the compile button I'll get the error message "Run Time Error 53 File not found".Mmm...does SBuilder work in the same wauy as ObPlacer. What I like about Arno's tool is that could slew in Fs and place an api with great precision. Rob "Holland&Holland" de Vries http://fool.exler.ru/sm/fly2.gif"To go up, pull the stick back. To go down, pull the stick back harder"

RobdeVries.jpg

RobSbuilder is a much more comprehensive tool than Object Placer and thus more complicated to use. It has a graphical interface and you can use the aircraft location from FS to place objects accurately.I would still like to understand why Object Placer is not working for you though. You say that you had to re-install things - clearly it worked before then. It may not be scasm.exe that is missing. It obviously works up to the point of compiling so I would have to suspect that it either cannot find scasm or some intermediate file like a .asm file. Object Placer will almost certainly create at least a source file and possibly some intermediate files as well. Can you tell if these are being created? I don't have that particular program but I will take a look at it

A picture says more than...It creates a temp file (temp.sca)which is placed in the same directory where ObPlacer.exe is located and the output file (*.*.sca) which name the user defines in output file path in the GUI.Both contain the same info in my case:; Macro( "C:Documents and SettingsRobBureaubladBronson CreekWorkspaceconstruction_cone.api" 56.6797459448876 -131.084981259283 22 0,5 146.964592599013 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 v2= 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 )No other stuff. I reinstalled VB runtimes but no luck...grrr..:(Rob "Holland&Holland" de Vries http://fool.exler.ru/sm/fly2.gif"To go up, pull the stick back. To go down, pull the stick back harder"http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/153269.jpg

RobdeVries.jpg

RobJust got the program and I get exactly the same problem. However if I manually drag and drop the sca file onto scasm.exe in Explorer I get a compiled bgl file - does not solve the problem but that may be a workaround until Arno gets back. I thought it might be the version of scasm but it does not seem to beLet me know if the work- around is any good for you

Hi Jon,Yep that's were my thoughts also, perhaps there's something wrong with scasm.exe but it had worked without any hitch before.But your workaround works like a charm and it had a positive side because it made me wonder into the world of SBuilder and indeed it's a versatile program :) Gonna read your tutorials...and work on CAB5 sceneryThanks for the help thus far, it's much appreciated!RobRob "Holland&Holland" de Vries http://fool.exler.ru/sm/fly2.gif"To go up, pull the stick back. To go down, pull the stick back harder"

RobdeVries.jpg

Good glad that you can get on with it - hopefully Arno can shed some light on the problem when he gets back from vacation