Sign in to follow this  
Guest mtom

Scenery Design in FSX

Guest mtom

Hi all.It's not clear to me whether the current range of design utilities will work in FSX, such as SGX, APW, Rwy12, ObPlacerXML, EZ-Scenery, EZ-Landclass. It seems that it comes down to the connectivity moduls (given that all these utilities talk to FS about the aircraft's location). There's no problem about the BGLs they produce given FSX's backward compatability. However, it's not clear where the DLL files should be stored in FSX (there's no 'moduls' folders, as such) and whether the utilities have to be re-configued to read the new location where they are stored.Any thoughts?Cheers,Matthew.

You need to get FSUIPC Version 4.01 from Pete Dowson. The installation instructions explain how to put it into FSX. At least one program has a problem with this version (Sbuilder).Not all the programs you mention above work with FSX. EZ-Scenery, for example does not work. You would have to try them to see. If you want to use the new objects which come with FSX (there are about 3500 of them) then my program LOM version 2 can do that. It uses FSUIPC version 4.01. Otherwise, as you say, you can still use FSX objects.Also you may find that placing objects is OK but some of the other features (flattens, ground polys) may not all work as expected. We are still finding out :-)

Hi Matthew,The connectivity modules are not my biggest concern I would say.As Jon already said we are still looking at the differences that FsX causes, but I would say that tools like AFW and FSSC can better not be used anymore. Due to the curvation of the earth that has been added in FsX, ground polygons placed with these tools have all kind of display problems. We might find a solution to that in the future, but using the latest SDKs sounds like a better approach to me.Placing old API macros should still sort of work. But I have seen display problems with quite a few of them already. So it seems the backwards compatibility is not always 100% for this old code.The more modern object placement tools like Rwy12, ObPlacer XML, EZ-Scenery, etc do create output that should work a lot better in FsX (apart from a few small problems, like materials without textures). Of these tools it is also quite likely that we will see updated versions to match the new SDKs (for my ObPlacer XML tool I certainly plan to do so).SGX should also still work quite OK, but using Fs9 XML code will hurt some of the new FsX features (like the airport vehicles). So you should be careful when using such BGL files.But as said in the beginning, we are still exploring all the differences, so not everything I say know might be relevant in a few weeks :).

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest mtom

Ta fellas.Interesting about the earth curvature. This probably relates to the recesses if noticed associated with streams (constituting drains) on airport surfaces.Cheers,Matthew.