Sign in to follow this  
Guest SkyDrift

Whales

Guest hefy_jefy

The object placer utility is another very cool "built in" tool with FSX.I now have Seagulls, Dolphins and an Orca in Monterey Bay marine sanctuary...Anybody managed to get a Humpback whale to show up? This one doesn't seem to work, or do I need to be more patient?Geoff

Guest SkyDrift

>Anybody managed to get a Humpback whale to show up? This one>doesn't seem to work, or do I need to be more patient?Hi Geoff,The whales are just underwater by default. Try increasing their elevation (alt) or orienation (bank) settings.For example, this XML code puts 3 whales just south of the airport tower of KNOW (near Port Angeles, WA, USA) at 3 different elevations:<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>Instead of elevation, the Hawaiian missions modify their orientation bank settings, e.g:N21

Guest hefy_jefy

Duh!Never thought of that, thanks I will give it a try...Geoff

Hi. Thanks. I tried yours but all I get are whales on the surface or above but no animation. I used the other whale viewing ones here at Avsim like Big Momma and can see the animation. How can I animate yours? Best regards, Bob.

Hi. The GUID I found in the SDK for the animated Humpback whale was: {ee3d0e1a-d84d-4dcd-90f9-36c4beda834a}I never could find the GUID in your post in the SDK. All I get are static whales and no animation. I tried replacing your GUID with the one above but it won't compile for some reason. Any help sure would be appreciated. Thanks, regards, Bob.

Guest SkyDrift

w.r.t. GUIDS - this thread should explain what you are seeing:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...33701&mode=fullThe whale I referenced can be chosen as the scenery item ANI_WhaleHumpback.W.r.t. the immobilility of the whales... well, they are sleeping! :>)Unfortunately, you'll notice in the Hawaiian.xml file that's included in the SDK mission samples that there are entries for Animation Actions to get the humpbacks to do things like breaches and fluke flaps. Each animation type has it's own GUID:breach: {C659D323-0ECF-4615-A558-107699914118}fluke: {D7BD00CF-157F-4AB9-A4FD-0C1B38BD4BBA}There are also waypoints and the whales act as ground vehicles moving from point to point. These actions are triggered by either timers or proximity triggers. None of these can be included in scenery files (to the the best of my knowledge).And unlike the dolphin models, where you can see their animation by repeatedly clicking on ModelAnimation and Effect properties of their object in object manager, the humpback model shows no such animation.So, I'm not sure what humpback model is being used in the sceneries you are viewing in free-flight that show them animated. All I can suggest is that you load the XML file into the object placement tool & analyse how they did it. Sorry I can't be of more help :>(- SkyDrift