Sign in to follow this  
wsieffert

Utility for creating/adding ILS Approaches

Guest LeeWang

helloIs their utility for creating ILS approaches that ATC will recognized and follow? I use AFCAD to create a new ILS for a airport, but ATC only gave me visual approach procedure while flying IFR. I have tried creating an ILS approach using xml coding, but wonder if their is a utility that aids in this?Lee

Hi Lee,I don't think I have seen a tool for that yet, so coding the XML yourself is probably the way to go.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest LeeWang

Thanks Arno.I afraid that would be the case...Lee

The coding of approaches is very complex as the SDK for FS9 and FSX illustrates. However, the approaches don't necessarily have to be that complex. I haven't written any approaches for FSX, but did investigate and write approaches for FS9 to new runways at KMCO, just after FS9 went to market.The easiest way to see how approaches are defined is to decompile existing airport scenery, peruse the existing approaches, then add similiar approaches to your new work.W. Sieffert

Guest LeeWang

Thank you Mr W. Sieffert.As per you suggestion, I been decompileing and reveiw approachs. Very complex. Working with FS2004. Have been reading many post by Jim Vile. Jim is the master of approaches from what I have read. Lee

Yes, Jim is the approches guru!!The approaches don't necessarily need to be extensive if you don't plan to use them to practice GPS and ILS approaches. The reason for less extensive approaches is so ATC and vector you to the beginning of the approach. The only time an entire approach is used is if you ignore ATC (better not in real life) and practice flying the entire published approach.W. Sieffert