Sign in to follow this  
Holger

Adjust Slope Detection For Landclass??

Several landclass textures will cause an alternate texture to pop thru on steep slopes. This is very evident on farmed fields where groups of trees appear within the field due a sloped area. In my area (near Pittsburgh) the remaining farmers work fairly steep slopes. The appearance of trees with the fields is not real. Also, when trees do appear they have a jagged geometric outline which is also not real. Does anyone know how to adjust the degree of slope that triggers the pop-up of trees on sloped areas of some textures?Regards,Dick BoleyA PC, an LCD, speakers, CH yoke

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Dick,all slope "triggers" are hard coded in the lclookup.bgl file. My FSX land class table shows the different thresholds and substitutes for each class: http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?t=57245Arnaud has started on some "hacking" for positive (global) changes but I don't think he's uploaded the final version of the file yet and I don't believe the draft version contains the specific changes you envision: http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthrea...hlight=lclookupObviously, changing a global file is a bit iffy in regards to distribution and flexibility: one man's bug is another man's feature.An external work-around is to create local land class files and texture sets that utilize classes that trigger at different slope thresholds. It's a bit of work but I've successfully used this approach in FS9 and FSX. The advantage of FSX in this regard is that any class can have custom autogen definitions attached to it. Thus, you could pick a forest class, copy the farmland textures, rename them to the forest class names, and do the same with the default farmland autogen files (a batch file helps with this task). You would then place those re-arranged texture sets into a local scenery add-on texture folder and provide a local land class file that calls that forest class wherever you want farmland.I guess another alternative would be to use TileProxy (if there's suitable coverage in your area) but that means saying good-bye (for now, at least) to autogen, seasons, and night light.Cheers, Holger

Holger,Thanks for directing me to Arnaud's new iclookup file. Actually he had already changed the file to make the secondary texture only appear on 16% slopes instead of 6. Works exactly as I need in my area. Complete fields are now predominate. The few "pop-up" textures are in places that are reasonable. I have no intentions of distributing the stuff I do. It is only for areas I find interesting. Regards,Dick BoleyA PC, an LCD, speakers, CH yoke

Hi Dick,that's great to hear - everybody likes a simple fix! ;-)Cheers, Holger