Sign in to follow this  
toprob

Autogen Annotator - Placement Accuracy

Hi folks - I was annotating some Tileproxy tiles the other day, and I noticed that the accuracy of the placement wasn't all that good. I was filling in some trees (polygon method) around a grass airstrip and homes, and although I was careful not to intrude on the runway in the annotator, the trees flowed onto the runway in the simulator. Is there a buffer zone I should give when annotating autogen vegitation, or is there something else causing the problem? (I'd LOVE to be able to annotate this right to the edge of the strip, as that is precicely what it looks like in real life - very cool do descent into what seems like a forest) -Greg

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Greg,What kind of shapes were you annotating? When doing some tests lately I had the impression that complex shapes sometimes resulted in autogen objects being placed outside of the drawn shape. But I would have to test it a little more to know if that is a fixed rule :).

*Very* irregular shapes. Take a grass strip, and along the edges, place houses. I'm drawing the polygon around the houses, to the runway edge, bumping back in for a house, and back out, etc.The push out is what seems to push out onto my runway, so what you are seeing is probably very similar to what I am experiencing. Perhaps down the road I'll annotate with the rectangle tool only, just LOTS of them. It'll be a PITA, but I only need such precision around airfields and such.-Greg

Having had to redo all the polygon vegetation areas in a 50x80 km area, I'm aware that too much complexity is an issue. I was actually getting crashes (FSX would simply disappear with no error message) when shapes got too complex. After a simple test I figured it was the veg polys causing the problem.I redid the autogen with simpler shapes, and tried to stick to convex only. To do a complex area I used multiple shapes.Robin CornGodzone Virtual Flight, for 'Real New Zealand' sceneryhttp://www.windowlight.co.nz