Sign in to follow this  
Guest Loke

Night Textures in FSX

Guest bilz

I have done quite a bit of scenery design, mostly in the South Pacific Islands and Hawaii, and recently installed FSX. I find most of my scenery working in FSX, but I have also changed to a new computer with Windows Vista, and notice some textures missing from certain objects, and the overhangs of buildings no longer have texture under the eaves, also none of my night LM textures are showing up. What is going on here? It looks like I'm back to scratch on all my scenery, especially since it is all in my old computer.

Guest bilz

Yes, how did you ever guess? Been away from this stuff for a while, but now it looks like I got my work cut out for me.

>Yes, how did you ever guess? Been away from this stuff for a>while, but now it looks like I got my work cut out for me.Hi BillI've been using your sceneries for ages before FSX came out and love them all. Are we going to get them for FSX? I really hope so.Thanks and best regards.

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

>Yes, how did you ever guess? Been away from this stuff for a>while, but now it looks like I got my work cut out for me.I've been moving some dirt around the islands of Hawai'i. As much time as I've spent flying around there, I know Bill Melichar's scenery very well and highly recommended it when I released my little scenery addon, Aloha Adventures I.Working on an FSX version now, so would love to hear of what your efforts will be. Lord knows I'm not to shy to say I'm just a scenery hack, so no use doing any duplicate stuff.Feel free to drop me an email at aloha_adventures(at)hotmail.com at your convenience.Lance, from SoCal

Guest kthy2003

I am having Texture Problems with FSX especially with the NIGHT TEXTURESImporting objects into FSX has been successful but with some texture problems. I am using

Guest Loke

This works for me:Map your material for night as "FSX Material" and put in in the "Self Illumination" slot. (I use a 24bit tga, a *very* darkened version of the day texture).When exporting, export as "FSX Material", and uncheck "Use bmp extension", leave "Use dds extension" checked.Convert to DXT1 or DXT3 with Imagetool in the FSX gmax gamepack, and create mipmaps. Save as dds and put in Addon SceneryYoursceneryTexture.(I use DXT1 for normal textures, DXT3 for for textures with a "hard" alpha (alpha white or black). Textures with an alpha is of course 32 bit before conversion.First time I tried my FSX textures at dusk or dawn, concrete was too reflective from sunlight...almost pink. I remedied this by adjusting the colur in the gmax material editor under "Blinn Basic Parameters" from white to black. Problem is I can`t remember right now if I adjusted it for "Diffuse" or "Specular". If it was the diffuse colur I adjusted...I guess the diffuse somehow blend with the night texture. Hope somebody else can elaborate on this, as I don`t have FSX at hand for the time being.