Sign in to follow this  
arno

The color of water

Guest cbuchner1

Hi there.I think the FSX water is way too bright and too saturated.I noticed this when blending photo scenery water into FSX default water using DXT3 water blend masks. This is a new feature for Tileproxy. Often the photoreal water is a dark blue shade (almost black), but most of the default water offered by FSX is medium to light blue.I am now wondering a bit where I would have to start modifying the default colors for various water classes - or if it is even possible to create new water classes using much darker colors.Any help or input would be appreciated much.Christian

Hello Christian,We have discussed this at various times here. e.g.:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=searchThe appearance of the texture will vary and depends on the water effects slider.Other than that, there are darker textures and it is possible to change the water class to something more like the images.Here is part of an illustrated table of the various water textures that I put together:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/176503.jpgNonetheless, it may be interesting to consider if the pictures are really an indication of the true color. I have not yet found a lot of images on Google that do not need color correction and balance.And anyway, water color and darkness depends a lot on atmospheric conditions.Best regards.Luis

That last remark from Luis is a really good in. In general the colours of the water as shown on the photos is not really correct. It for example depends on where the sun was standing when the photo was taken. That can even result in water ranging from white to black on the same photo. So I would not trust the colours on the photos too much.Having said that, I think in general the water in FS is indeed too blue. It should have a more blue-gray like colour I think (at least to look realistic for Western Europe where I am). For Fs2004 I have seen replacement textures that did just that or as Luis said chaging the waterclass a bit might help as well.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog