Sign in to follow this  
Guest M2769

Alpha texture transparency problems

Guest M2769

I am using alpha layers for some of my textures in a scenery project, however I have run into a bit of a problem. My alpha layer is only black and white (no grey) so it should only either fully display a part of a texture or nothing at all. Around the edge of the part that is to be shown however (where the black meets the white on the alpha layer) there is some type of see-through effect going on (see image link below.)As you can see in the image, I can see through my other objects all the way to the default FS scenery behind it, and it's quite and eyesore.I use DXTBmp.exe to apply the alpha layer, and have tried saving in both 32-bit and DXT3 formats, with the same result.Here is the end result in FS:http://55thvaf.com/img/alpha.jpgI would greatly appreciate it if someone could shed some light on how to fix this problem. :)Thanks in advance,Marcus

I wouldn't have thought I was looking at transparency here, as there's a definite change of colour in the edges from top to middle. It looks more like you just need to lose a pixel or two from your mask.-RobinGodzone Virtual Flight, for 'Real New Zealand' sceneryhttp://www.windowlight.co.nz

Hi Marcus,As you are only using a 1 bit alpha channel, I would save it as DXT1 not as DXT3. I think that will improve the display as well.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest M2769

toprob:It was definitely a transparency issue, because the region behind the trees were a very dark green. I did that to ensure that anything that might bleed through outside of the tree itself wouldn't be of a color that was too different from the tree.The scenery is in Las Vegas, and that orange part you see on the edges of the trees is actually a far away hill, with the blue sky above it, and the grey part below is part of the buildings and texture that covers downtown Las Vegas. You can even see a nearby taxiway cutting across about halfway up the tree.arno:I was using DXT3 for improved quality (so I thought) but once I switched to DXT1 all my problems went away. It now looks just the way it should. Thanks for the help :)!