Sign in to follow this  
jmbiii

Some assistance with object locations . . please.

Hi;As a real novice at hard core scenery design I am looking for some words of wisdom on how to move some objects in FS9.I know that you are able to edit the location (lat & lon)in an xml and compile into a bgl but am not sure how to go about this in two cases.1. At my local airport (KLKU) the beacon is misplaced considerably. With the stock scenery it didn't really matter, but after I installed UT the difference is enough to bother me (the beacon is across the highway from where it should be). Is there any way to move it or should I exclude it and find another animated one to place in the correct location ?2. I like to fly VFR low. Along the Outer Banks of NC. A while ago I downloaded/installed NC Lighthouse Scenery by Mike Mahat. Again with the stock FS9 scenery the locations were close enough. After UT, one of the lights (Currituck Beach) is out in the middle of the water. I tried to contact the author to see if he could help, but have not received any replies. BGLXML and BGLAnalyse won't touch it. Again how can I move the lighthouse (short of what they did to Hatteras Lighthouse in 1999)? Anyone ?ThanksJB

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

With FS scenery the process is find, exclude, reposition. Since you're speaking of XML, you can search the location for your airport beacon in the XML, make a small exclusion rectangle to remove it and then take the original placement XML and tweak the lat/lon to where you want to place it and make a new BGL file.Same would apply for #2, though any modifications here should be for your personal use, as you don't have the original author's permisiion to modify and release. For FS9 scenery files the decompiler would be NewBGLAnalyse, as BGL2XML came out for FSX and BGLAnalyse was for FS2002.

>With FS scenery the process is find, exclude, reposition.>Since you're speaking of XML, you can search the location for>your airport beacon in the XML, make a small exclusion>rectangle to remove it and then take the original placement>XML and tweak the lat/lon to where you want to place it and>make a new BGL file.Find . . I am guessing the KLKU scenery would be in the FS9/Scenery/Name/Scenery directory . . . but how do you know which .bgl file it's in? AFCAD indicates the airport is in AP927180.bgl but doesn't show the beacon . . Am I correct in assuming AFCAD just doesn't look at that part of the scenery?Exclude . . This I know how to do.Reposition . . Same once I can get to .xml.>>Same would apply for #2, though any modifications here should>be for your personal use, as you don't have the original>author's permisiion to modify and release. For FS9 scenery>files the decompiler would be NewBGLAnalyse, as BGL2XML came>out for FSX and BGLAnalyse was for FS2002.I only planned it for my own use if I could change position of the lighthouse . . my scenery "enhancements" to the airports I frequent probably aren't of the quality anyone would want anyhow.So "NewBGLAnalyse" is the one to use for FS9 . . . is that why "BGLAnalyse" didn't recognise when I tried to decompile the lighthouse .bgl ?Thanks ! I'll give it a try and see what happens.JB

My boo-boo in mis-reading your original posting, as I thought you had already gotten to the XML stage.NewBGLAnalyze is the one that works with FS9. Search the developer, Winfried Orthmann, in the library as he released an updated version early this year. It's a combo package, one decompiler each for FS9 and FSX. Also search for a file by Richard Ludowise named TCalc2004, it will run along with FS9 and list files for the area.I'm going by memory here, as I no longer have FS9 installed. But you should look for a file named OB927180.bgl, which will contain the tower and beacon that you want to move. OB = objects, in FS9 file naming convention. Decompiled it will be a large file, but you can use the lat/lon coordinates from being in-sim to search for the object(s), using an XML editor or even Notepad. You'll have two objects that make up the airport beacon, the tower and the rotating beacon. Once you find that info, you can copy it to a new XML file, place a small exclusion at the top and then use the object code to reposition.It sounds worse than what it really is, but it serves as a good way to get your feet wet in understanding some of the chores that make up scenery work. Feel free to ask questions.

Thanks !I found "NewBGLAnalyze" and will look for "TCalc2004". It sounds fairly straightforward . . once you know which tools to use. I'll give it a go this evening and post the results/new questions.JB

Okay. Here's the progress or lack thereof so far.I found both "NewBGLAnalyze" and "TCalc2004". I searched the entire FS9 for OB927180.bgl. No such file, so I ran "TCalc" and it said the KLKU scenery was in "xx927180.bgl". The closest thing to that was AB927180.bgl. So I decompiled it to a .asm file(Had to use the BGL Analyze for 2002 as New BGL said it was the old type) and it appears to be just the base textures, no objects - "This file contains terrain data of textured polygon type.". I then found OB9NAME2.bgl and after searching for the lat/lon found what was the beacon. After backing up the file I changed the lat/lon to the correct position, compiled and opened FS9. The beacon is where it's supposed to be!The lighthouse is a different story. It decompiled (with the FS2002 bgl analyze) into a .asm and after changing the co-ords the decompiled file has errors that stop it from compiling after I changed the lat/lon. I'll keep plugging on, tho'. Thanks for the help Meshman!JB