Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bill_M

Question About Object LIbraries

Guest Bill_M

I did a little acenery add-on for myself recently. I would like to publish it for everyone especially the BFU folks. Unfortunately I had to grab from more than one object library to get what I wanted. Here is my question. Is there a way to collect the objects I used into a separate library so that someone who downloaded my scenery would not need to also download/install any/all object libraries I used to create the scenery? Alternatively, is there a way to compile the objects themselves into the BGL file so no additional object libraries would be needed? I would, of course, include credit for the original designers of the objects I used in my readme file.Bill

Hi Bill,This approach can cause problems due to the way object libraries are compiled. Each object in a library has a unique identifier called a guid (I forget what this stands for). The guid is created when the objects are compiled into a library. The guid is also how FS finds the objects it needs. If you extract objects from several libraries and then compile them into a new library, the objects will be given new guids and will not work with any scenery that was created using the original libraries. Even your own scenery will not work...you'd have to reconstruct it using the objects from your new library.There may be a way to retain the original guids...I don't know. That creates it's own problems, however, because then you end up with objects with duplicate guids...the ones in the original libraries and the one in your new library. This can cause objects to be displayed improperly, or not at all, in FS. So either way it's a nuisance.Personally I think it's a much better idea if the end user downloads and installs the object libraries you used (assuming they don't already have them, which they may). Yes, it will take a bit more time initially, but once the libraries are installed they'll be also able to use any other scenery that uses those libraries.Sidney Schwartz KPDX

It is good to remember, as well, that many designers do not appreciate seeing their object libraries re-compiled and released without their previous authorization. Even if they are duly credited by the person who is re-compiling.And the Avsim library explicitly forbids this practice anyway.So, Bill, if you envisage placing somebody else's work in the library, please get their permission first.Best regards.Luis

Guest Bill_M

Sidney and Luis, Thanks for the reply, guys. I was just rtying to make things simpler for downloaders. I suppose that the only alternative is to take good notes about upon which libraries I draw and make that info known in the readme file and the download description. No biggie, I was just trying to make things simpler - especially for folks who don't have a broadband internet connection.Regards,Bill