Sign in to follow this  
Holger

Empty FSX texture folders...yea or nay?

I'm currently building up some of the barren FSX default airportsthat lack parking and/or scenery objects and am wondering anoutthe need, or lack thereof, for a "texture" folder to accompany the"scenery" folder within my main Addon SceneryMy named scenery" folder.The contents of my scenery folder contains the airport file createdwith ADE, scenery objects added with FSX Object Placement Tool ( withalot of cursing and eye strain, I might add...poorly designed UI! ),"sloped flatten" files to blend airport elevations smootly into thesurrounding region, and replacement landclass BGL's to remove incorrect"cityscapes" and replacethem with appropriate landcalss. ( Using FSX_KMLto buld the BGLs ).I plan to upload my modificationsadditions for KLSV, KTPH, TNX and KEDW ( parking added ) soon and wonder if the empty texture folder should be included. I recall that in FS9 the empty texture foldercould cause a "memory leak" under certain conditions but I have noclue as to what FSX may or may not choke on.Searchs of the forums here give no useful results...TIA, Paul

Wide-5.jpg

Guest sparker256

scenery objects added with FSX Object Placement Tool>( with>alot of cursing and eye strain, I might add...poorly designed>UI! ),>> PaulI have found this tool to do a much better job and is also free.It has a live preview feature.http://lc0277.nerim.net/wiki/index.php?whisplacer

Hi Paul,if your add-on doesn't include textures then there's no need to include an empty folder. There's no requirement for a parallel texture folder.The memory leak in FS9 happened only with land class files that didn't provide their own ground texture sets. The coding problem that led to the leaks has been fixed in FSX.It's always a good idea to do a pre-release check with Filemon, scanning for unsuccessful file calls of your add-on; textures, effects, etc.Cheers, Holger