Sign in to follow this  
scott967

Waypoint/Approach help

Well, after skulking around this forum for quite sometime, I decided to take a crack at adding waypoints/approaches to a couple of airports I frequent that have no IFR approaches. I have some experience with panel mods and AFCAD, but no other design.After downloading recommended software, reading the manuals, and cracking a few AP******.BGL's to see how they were written, I think I have a handle on the basics. But a couple of questions:1. Any idea why BGLanalyze is unable to write a complete XML? It decompiles, but before the end of the XML is reached, I read an error writing the page. BGLXML 1.8 works fine.2. Comment, it's too bad the genius Lee Swordy can't find some way to include waypoint/approaches into AFCAD and make it GUI.3. As much as I want to try writing my own, I have no intention of dropping $250 to find out what the following leg types are. Anyone able to help me here?AF, CA, CD, CF, CI, CR, DF, FA, FC, FD, FM, HA, HF, HM, IF, PI, RF, TF, VA, VD, VI, VM, VR

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

1. The expert around here is Jim Vile (jvile01). At one time there were a number of threads on the PAI AFCAD forum with a great deal of info, but when PAI changed hands, the archives disappeared.2. The FS9 disassemble tools don't do a perfect job with approach code. One idea is to get the scruffyduck SDE test app. this one will disassemble both FS9 and FSX AP files including approach code to XML. I'm not sure it's 100% accurate as Jon's work is now on the ADE design tool, and the approach editing bits are in an unreleased version in development. Any fixes I think are in this new tool.3. There are various documents which provide insight into the ARINC database data dictionary. One problem, is that MS has not explained just what data they use or don't use from the data. (By and large, I think the actual XML code is compliant with the database specs).4. The leg concept is that the letters encode a PATH (first letter) and TERMINATION (second letter). Only certain legs can be used in conjunction with others. I think it's best to look at the default approaches, and see the way that the legs are strung together.5. Besides understanding the leg types, for certain legs it is necessary to understand the altitude, rho, and theta. I recommend starting off with GPS or RNAV approaches. the transitions are just Initial to Fix, then Track to Fix. There might be an optional Hold at Fix for a course reversal. The missed approach is typically a Course (runway course) to Altitude, then Direct to Fix (since a course to altitude ends at no specific point in space due to different climb rates you can't specify a Track to Fix) ending with a Hold with Manual termination (i.e. hold until ATC gives you new clearance).http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/184218.jpgNote that PI-CF is a special chain used to place a procedure turn into an approach. scott s..