Sign in to follow this  
Guest odog1999

RF legs in approaches

Guest odog1999

Hi all,I've got regular approaches down pat, and am trying now to encode the RNAV (RNP) RWY 13R at Boeing Field (KBFI) using the data in the procedure_graphic.pdf and "WA_BFI_RNAV(RNP)-Z_RWY13R_ORIG-A_REPLACEMENT.pdf" found at http://avn.faa.gov/folderdetail.asp?key=20...1-BFI&replace=1 . Right now I'm not worrying about putting transitions in until I get the final approach portion to work (from JAMRO onward). As it's coded below, the approach currently goes from 6 miles from COMMB on a heading of 130, then a right turn direct RWY 13R at BFI. I did include all of the waypoints below in the compiled BGL.I've tried swapping EXAXE with ORABE, putting the circumference of the arc instead of the radius for the distance, not including the theta/recommended attributes, and adding a TF to ORABE with distance zero after the RF to no avail. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

Probably good that you are using actual SIAPs. I suspect FS knows nothing about RNP procedures and I bet the RF leg doesn't work. I don't think that BGLComp provides the correct fields for the leg, for example the fix center. I suspect the recommended navaid could be used, but I bet they didn't. You should probably just use a TF and not worry about it. Maybe try to specify a fly over waypoint on the exit but I wonder if FS actually does anything with flyover/flyby either?scott s..

Guest odog1999

I've looked at the ARINC 424-18, and according to it, a properly coded RF doesn't even need the center fix (!). The format is supposed to be previous leg->RF->Next leg. I tried using inbound course for the theta and outbound course for the heading, and it didn't seem to take. My bet is MS didn't test RF legs, as they didn't have an approach to compare it against as of early/mid 2005. FS XI should have at least the RNAV (RNP) 28R at SFO for us to look at how FS implements it.For now (As I just checked: see attached), we can use the AF to emulate an RF leg (examples of which are quite numerous; see the LOC/DME BC-B at KYKM).