Sign in to follow this  
Guest Pilot533

Photscenery not working

Guest Pilot533

Hi, Im having a problem with my photscenery for fsx created with sbuilderx, for some reason as i fly the photoscenery is being replaced with default textures as I fly. When I bring the texture resolution slider all the way to the left the problem stops, but obviously the textures are blurry, and default autogen still shows up. Its almost like the sim isnt recognising the scenery as photoscenery. What can I do?

Hi Mike,you need to make sure that the photoscenery is compiled with a sufficiently high LOD (range) otherwise FSX will display the ground textures with the higher LOD around the user plane, which may very well be the default textures.See the discussion on LODs in Luis' tutorial: http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fsxsd&DLID=112595Cheers, Holger

Guest Pilot533

I see, the tutorial says there is a way to change the lod of the photoscenery, but if it is set to high it wont display, so I guess that wont work. The data im using isnt that high res either. Is there some way to precisely set the texture res.? Because when I set 5m i still get default textures, but at 10m the photscenery staerts to blur.

Have you determined what levels the LODs are in the scenery you're compiling? If the highest level is lower than the default scenery resolution the default will take priority. Sounds like what you've run into, as you're files show when the texture resolution slider is moved way left, but when it comes back to the right your work isn't a high enough LOD to take priority in the display process.You can check your LODs using the TmfViewer from the SDKs.

Hi there,actually, the FSX Terrain SDK knows:"Default land class textures will be used if the terrain system cannot find photo-imagery at LOD13 (5 meters per pixel) or greater detail. This can lead to default textures appearing when photo-imagery is desired. To ensure that the LOD13 requirement is met, consider using LOD=Auto,13 in the [Destination] section of the .inf file. "There's quite a bit on photoscenery in the SDK as well as sample files.Cheers, Holger

Guest Pilot533

Thanks, Ill try setting lod to 13 in the infs, does that mean i have to do it for all the infs? there must be thousands of them

1,000s ???You could try merging the source material into bigger objects or you could try using multi-source references in the INF files. But if you have 1,000s of files, either is going to give you a lot of work.

Guest Pilot533

Alright, I wish there was some kind of program that would allow me to just highlight all the files and recompile them with lod 13, if the onyl way to do it is to manually redo everything I think im just gonan leave it, I put a lot of time into what already there and i dont think I can redo the entire area. Idk if we are talkign about the same inf files either, the ones I mean are the ones that are in the work folder of sbx, there is one for each bgl file, and there are thousands of bgls.

>the ones I mean are the ones that are in the work folder of>sbx, there is one for each bgl file, and there are thousands>of bgls.Yep, same type INF files. Now for each of those INF files there is a corresponding BMP file, correct? How large are the assorted BMP files? I've found SBX can work with BMP files about 250mb before it starts to have fits and depending where I'm working those don't cover a large area. So if you're redoing Texas, you'll have a bunch (many 1,000s) of source files.

Guest Pilot533

Thanks for the help, on my central florida project I currently have 2.5 gb of .bmps.