Sign in to follow this  
scruffyduck

new guy wants to plant some grass

Guest ridgell

I am trying to replace the underlying terrain around airports (new airports created using EZ-scenery and AFCAD) with grass. Exactly like the grass surrounding the default runways. Sad story: military airfields (Europe) do not have parking, and other then perhaps a tower, no scenery. Wanted to create military traffic, so I had to rework the airfields to add parking and taxiways. The autogen trees confined my additions to the strip of grass surrounding the runways. Bought EZ-SCENERY to spice up the air bases, so they did not look so sparse, and noticed that ez-scenery got rid of the trees around the objects it placed. So I started looking for a way to exclude (did not know the term at the time) larger areas so I could use satellite photos to make the airports accurately rather then wind my taxiways around the autogen objects. After downloading a dozen programs that i could not make do the job, I found a simple posted example: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>the author said copy this exactly and replace the co-ordinates with yours, and where you need, replace false with true, then compile. I deleted a dozen useless (for my purposes) programs, and am now free to use accurate airfield layouts. One more problem: the mottled scenery (representing forested areas?) within the base areas. Played with the apron tool in afcad to make grass aprons and it looks great but that is not a real solution. (Grass aprons will not reflect seasons). Surely I do not need to master DEMS, sbuilder, or terrabuilder to plant some grass around an airbase. Intuition tells me there is another example like the exclusion above that I can use to do this. Can someone point me to, or show me such an example I can alter to fit my co-ords?

Well if you don't want to use the built in textures that show up in aprons then you will need to place some land class or textures polygons. I guess you are working with FS9? If you want to shape this to a particular shape then I think you will need to use something like SBuilder. There are some tutorials on how to do this on www.scruffyduckscenery.co.uk

Guest ridgell

perhaps i mis-spoke,by aprons i was refering to the apron polygon tool in AFCAD (normally used to create concrete parking aprons, but with a grass colored option) the grass apron areas around the runways in FS9 is EXACTLY what i do want to create. but over a larger area. and i am already working my way through your tutorials section...good stuff, i may learn something about scenery design inspite of myself!

No I think I understood. You can create aprons in AFCAD to any size - they use built in textures. AFCAd has several grass types I think. They will always be flat and always sit at the same altitude as the airport.