Sign in to follow this  
Guest rafaelds

Mesh considerations/problems

I went on a mesh hunt last night and finally decided to download Eddie Denny's mesh for Alaska. I have been flying up there a bit lately. While the mesh is for the most part spectacular, it seems in a many areas the terrain does not go well with the coast lines. What I mean here is that instead of a smooth transition down to water, the mountains end up just kind of cut off, leaving what looks to be too many cliffs all around. Its not everywhere, but it is in enough areas as to make it noticeable and unrealistic I guess. I even recently tried the add on mesh for the Seattle area and it suffers the same problem but to a much lesser extent. Am I doing something wrong or is it just a characterisitc of addd on mesh? Also it seems I have a good bit of "floating tree" problems with add on mesh too, again not a huge problem but every now and then I see the flying trees here and there.Just wondering if there are any answers from you mesh gurus out there, thanks!!Hornit

Guest rafaelds

It's because the line data (road, rivers, coasts, lakes) is inaccurate. I compared some of these data used in FS with some georeferenced satellite pics, and they are sometimes way off (and, but not only, much more simple of course).It's also possible that the DEMs are off of position, but this effect should be small since the displacement isn't relatively large.But the line data is DEFINITELY bad is is the most probable cause.